2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - tash
Hi
first post!

Today after a short 1.5 hr stop I started the car to find 3 dash warning lights lit up (where before there were none (and never have been)):- the battery discharge light, the low oil level light and the fuel filter light.

I limped home (3 miles in dark - all seemed fine) and consulted the handbook which says:-
battery discharge (??)
check oil level and add oil
purge fuel filter (instructions in there how to do)

Query:- I find it strange that all 3 lit up at same time? what else could it be? and what to do/check? Maybe a multi-connector? or something far worse? :>(((

There's a forum post on RAV4 World from 2008 with the exact same symptoms but apart from two suggestions that the alternator or it's belt was iffy, the trail goes cold....

Any help gratefuly received thanks

Jim
2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - injection doc
normally when multiple lights appear, it can be caused by iether under or over voltage. i would suggest you check the charging rate first.
2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - tash

thanks for the reply.

Would a multimeter across the battery whilst engine runnning suffice for that test? if so what should I be looking for on the meter?

thanks again

2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - injection doc

running 13.8-14.2 volts with no load. It amy run up to 14.5/6 volts if over 15+ or under 13.2 there may lie the problem

2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - jimbeau

running 13.8-14.2 volts with no load. It amy run up to 14.5/6 volts if over 15+ or under 13.2 there may lie the problem

Many thanks - just looked at it and the alternator belt has snapped/been broken - in a clean break.... I can turn the allternator so that's hopefully OK - there seems to be an idler/tension pully (non grooved) down there.... Anyone care to speculate what snapped the belt and how to proceed please? (the rest of the belt is in reasonable condition tho I suppose must be 8.5 years old...) Thanks again
2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - madf

Age and neglect caused it to snap.. or whatever.

Change both the idler/tensioner and the pulley...for safety.

Has the engine's antifreeze been checked? Cold weather and weak anti freeze = ice and water pump not turning = broken belt.

At 8.5 years the OAT antifreeze is clos to replacement (10 years) so check it ...

2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - jimbeau

Age and neglect caused it to snap.. or whatever.

Change both the idler/tensioner and the pulley...for safety.

and which pulley?

Has the engine's antifreeze been checked? Cold weather and weak anti freeze = ice and water pump not turning = broken belt.

I hear you but on the diesel I'm sure the water pump is driven off a different "serpentine" belt (also does the timing etc etc) - that was replaced on schedule ayear or two back.

At 8.5 years the OAT antifreeze is clos to replacement (10 years) so check it ...

Been fine over winter (minus 9 !!) but will get it checked next service time. Cheers
2002 Toyota Rav4 diesel - Multiple dashboard warning lights on at once - jc2

It's the anti-corrosion in the coolant that deteriorates,not the anti-freeze.

It's the anti-corrosion in the coolant that deteriorates,not the anti-freeze.

ah - are you referring to the "long life" stuff? that got changed out at 5yrs (I think) for "ordinary life" - but still worth a check/change this coming service time thanks