Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 Reverse gear - gavmoffat

Hi all

I've had a V reg 306 for a few months now, and today noticed a problem with the gearbox, especially reverse. Once it's in reverse, it takes quite a push to get it back out. First and second can also offer a little bit of resistance but not much. From third upwards it's pretty smooth, but not quite as smooth as it has been before.

Since I've had the car it's always had quite a "short" clutch, with not much room for error. I'm not sure if the two are linked.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or could it be something as simple as gearbox oil? Spending a grand on a new clutch and gearbox isn't economical with a car that's barely worth that.

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 Reverse gear - Peter.N.

If this is an Hdi 306 it probably has the same gearbox as my 406 which is difficult to engage in reverse, I haven't investigated mine yet but I think its due to a stretched/worn gear selector cable.

The clutch won't be causing it unless its not completely disengaging, in which case it would 'crunch' when trying to get it into reverse. My clutch is just the opposite, you have to almost take your foot off it before it engages.

Edited by Peter.N. on 07/01/2011 at 18:13

Thanks for reply, it's a petrol 1.4. Even so, is it not likely to be a similar problem? Is the cable easy to fix / replace?

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 Reverse gear - Peter.N.

I will let you know when I have done mine! I expect someone who has done it will come along.

Great thanks

I'll try taking it for a full service first, get gearbox oil replaced and see if that helps. If not, it looks like another trip to the garage as I'd probably make it worse fixing it myself!