Golf VR6 ABS failed - shed
1994 Golf VR6: ABS light is permanently on and the ABS doesnt work. couple of auto electricians have had a look at it and not been able to fix it. I have checked the outputs from the wheel sensors, and seem to get an alternating voltage output from all of them. VW garage in oxford said that the engine management code showed up as a "voltage fault" to the abs unit. A mate got me some of the VW wiring diagrams but they are pretty unintelligible. Anyone got any bright ideas for things I should look for, or a good auto-electrician that can sort it? I REALLY dont want to go to the (oxford area) main dealer, as all they seem to be able to do is change my washer fluid on a service, then charge me for it!

cheers,
Shed
Golf VR6 ABS failed - simonsmith473©
Personally i would take it to a good vw dealer if the rotors and sensors are ok. ABS systems are apparently very difficult to diagnose unless it is the external components that have failed. Sorry i can't be of any more help!
Golf VR6 ABS failed - Toad, of Toad Hall.
a good vw dealer

You know of such a thing?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Golf VR6 ABS failed - Ian D
Irvines of Bridgwater Somerset, one of the few good ones, although bu**** all use if you live in Oxford!

>> a good vw dealer
You know of such a thing?
--
Golf VR6 ABS failed - Dynamic Dave
or a good auto-electrician that can sort it? (oxford area)

There used to a good one in Wallingford. Will try and ask a colleague at work tomorrow to see if he remembers the name, and if they're still trading.
I probably wuld consider travelling to Somerset to get it fixed if I thought that I was going to get value for money, and not be ripped off by the usual VW dealers. Thanks for the input, I'll be interested to hear about the guy in wallingford.

Anyone ever used autotechnic in Oxford?

Shed
Golf VR6 ABS failed - Dave_TD
ABS pump failed on my Octavia (under warranty, thank goodness!), no outward signs, just the symptoms you describe. Apparently it could overheat and melt a capacitor inside it, or something.
Golf VR6 ABS failed - dimdip
I've been using autotechnic for 11 yrs Shed. I think Chris is the best guy to talk to about electrics, tho I don't know how they would compare overall with a good autoelectrician.
Cheers PDP, I think Ill pop round there and have a chat to them.