skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - mcdoo

Hi all.

I have a 2002 skoda octavia 1.9tdi. 3 days ago whilst stuck on the ice i reved the car to get out of the ice and it shuttered to a stall. when i started it back up the engine was jerky and alot of white smoke is coming out the exhaust. took it to a mates garage and we thought it was EGR so we replaced it. no difference. we then thought it was the injectors so we swapped them with an old set he had lying about. we then thought it was maybe the cat blocked so we took the whole exhaust off. still no difference. Checking the turbo it spins freely and seems pritty clean. Anybody got any ideas as im stuck!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - Collos25

White smoke is normally a sign that the the turbo is faulty.

Thanks andy. Would that be a sign the oil seals are done? There is a fair amount of oil in the exhaust system and intercooler inlet pipe. when i take the main inlet pipe off the egr the smoke comes back thru it.

skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - Collos25

Yes it sounds like your turbo has a problem.

skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - Cymrogwyllt
In a diesel white smoke is usually a sign of unburnt fuel. Could just as well be a fueling problem.

Anyone else remember the Bristol LH? Renowned for white smoke on pulling off after a halt of more than a few seconds due to fueling issues
Just after taking the turbo out of the car and it seems ok. Going to fit another 1 tomorrow. When you say a fueling problem do you mean the main pump? Will keep you posted! Thanks for the replies.

Just replaced the turbo and sitll no difference:( Anybody got any ideas?

Paul

skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - madf

I was always taught that unless the answer was obvious, read the fault codes?

Connected to vag-com and there was no engine fault codes. Have the orginal injectors out again and am going to get them tested tomorrow. Thanks for the replies

Got the injectors tested. They are all fine. Stumped.
skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - unthrottled
Any joy? The fact that the problem occured after it was revved hard, and it produces white smoke, point to the cambelt jumping. The 1.9 engines have their unit injectors driven via the camshaft, so it would retard the ignition timing giving poor combustion.
skoda octavia - skoda octavia 1.9tdi giving lots of white smoke - VAG123

White smoke is usually water , you could possibly have an headgasket gone,

What engine code is your engine ?