Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - lucklesspedestrian

Hi there

I'm shortly going to look at a 57 plate Astra 1.6 Club for sale privately at about 1K below book price.

Did an HPi check just there (my first!) and it highlighted an alert. I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me just what it actually means?

The issue is: "Interest registered against a previous plate"

it goes on to say:

Plate Transfer

The current plate was transferred to this vehicle on 31/08/2010

• X6*** was applied to this vehicle on 28/07/2009
    • This VRM has been recorded as having an outstanding finance agreement
    • An outstanding finance agreement was recorded on 11/11/2008 against a VAUXHALL ASTRA SPORT HATC
  • Y*****E was applied to this vehicle on 01/02/2008
    • There are no interests recorded against Y*****E

Y*****E is the VRN of the car I'm going to see and it was first registered on 01/02/08

If anyone could explain, as if talking to a very dim person, just what this means, whether I have anything to worry about and what I should do next about I would be most grateful!

Edited by WellKnownSid on 22/12/2010 at 21:08

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - injection doc

To be honest, anything iffy just walk away, when you come to sell it & someone else does a check the same thing will happen. If its 1k cheaper theres a reason.

There was some poor guy on here recently that bought a Q7 that thought it was a bargin because it was cheaper by far but by the time it was handed over to the police as stolen & rung ( which didn't show up ) he was about 20k lighter!

Plenty more cars out there!

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - lucklesspedestrian

First, could a moderator remove or disguise that private plate number from my original post?...didn't mean to put it there!

Seller tells me that was his private plate which he took off the car when he put it up for sale and the finance was paid off just before he took the plate off.

However having now entered all the details for the full HPI I'm now getting the alert:

The V5 registration document issue date does not match the information provided by the DVLA

which is strange because the date of issue of the V5 is the date the car was first registered, I'll call the DVLA tomorrow...could be the change of plate has thrown the DVLA, I believe they have been know to make mistakes?

any - Moderator help please! - lucklesspedestrian

Hi there

Could a helpful mod please go down to my recent post

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help!

and disguise or remove the private plate number I inadvertently included in my original post?

thanks!

any - Moderator help please! - WellKnownSid

Done.

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - Dave N

It looks like he swapped the original plate to X6+++ , and there is some sort of history against the vehicle that plate came off of, ie. there is finance on the vehicle it was originally on. He's since kept (or sold) that plate and it's got the original back on it again. You could always ask him about the history. But as others have said, any sort of question marks against a vehicle or it's plate may cause you problems - if not now, maybe in the future. TBH, walk away and look for something else that has no 'history'. And next time you do an HPI check, make absolutely sure that you follow all of their rules to the letter, otherwise you'll have no comeback at all. (And even if you do, you may well still have trouble getting any comeback).

Actually, I think he is just incapable of pulling the correct info from the V5.

The problem with the doc issue date not matching seems to be down to him giving me the acquired vehicle date then trying the date of 1st registration whereas it's actually the date next to the doc ref no when the doc was actually officially issued! I've asked him to look again at the document!

I'm really starting to see the upside of walking into a main dealer and just slapping down the wonga for a brand new car!

Still, an asking price for 4.5K for a 37K 2008, one previous owner car with 5 star safety rating, a decent 115bhp engine and potential for low 40's mpg and decent (i.e. no complex diesel worries) reliability can't be bad...can it?

I'll check the service record in person!

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - bathtub tom

>>for sale privately at about 1K below book price.

That rings alarm bells for me. Please be careful!

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - Avant

Injection Doc is right, as usual. A car is a major purchase ands if there's anything not quite right, much best to walk away. Fortunately you're looking at a car which is in plentiful supply so you should find another that fits your needs and budget.

If not, try a Focus of similar vintage which is better to drive.

You pay a bit more at a dealer but you have more protection - worth a thought.

Edited by Avant on 22/12/2010 at 23:44

Update:

Spoke to DVLA, very laid back Welsh chap informed me "ahh, probably nothing to worry about boyo, HPI don't get their information directly from us and it's often out of date"

Phoned HPi, they contacted DVLA, the issue date on the V5 now matches the info held by the DVLA.

They also explained that the outstanding finance on the private plate was finance on a different car belonging to the seller, he's just had the same plate on both. They confirmed that there was no outstanding finance on the car I am about to view. Seller probably just needs to get the finance company to update their records.

So...just need to make sure the car itself is straight now!

ps: okay, the chap from the DVLA didn't actually say "Boyo"!

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - madf

I'd still run away.. Anyone who sells a car and cannot be bothered to sort out HPI details before he sells it is either an idiot or careless.

As it's cheap.. I'd run away...Let some other fool try to sell it in two years' time..

Lots of cars with no hassle. why bother ?

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - Westpig

How do you know that the car you've checked through HPI (via the number plate) is actually the car he's selling?

When buying privately like that you need to ensure you know exactly what car is being offered to you, by checking all the VIN numbers inc the hard to get to ones...then HPI that car's details. It is very easy to put incorrect plates on a car and have a prospective buyer HPI the wrong car. V5 forgeries are again fairly easy to achieve.

There are plenty of bargains out there that are genuine..and equally so plenty that are not. Going in properly prepared and researched, you should have no problems. Not very aware or prepared then buy from a reputable garage and let them do all the background work.

If it seems too good to be true..it often is.

Vauxhall Astra H - About to buy, HPi check suggests a problem...Help! - injection doc

Is the clue in the name " luckless pedestrian" may be you don't have much luck , but if you ask for advice you should take it ! taking what someone says on the end of a phone is a disaster waiting to happen! did he offer to bail you out if the advice he gave was wrong ?

I very much doubt it. The advice from several has been to walk but its sounds like your persistance may make you luckless again! Be warned. There are many of us on this forum who have spent many years in the trade & seen most things & people asking for advice & then doing the opposite is the most common.

I wish you a happy x-mas & Lucy on the legal bit is always there to advise when things go wrong, so may be worth making notes before your purchase.

To be honest for 4.5k I would by from a dealer, its lots of dosh when it goes wrong! A new C1 for £ 6250 & 60+mpg & 3 years warranty must be worth considering as its a toyota in disquise

Again, thanks for all the sound advice.

I've never actually been "Luckless" when buying a car privately, usually keep my eyes open, ask lots of questions, do the basic checks, rely a lot on instinct i.e. if it feels wrong it is wrong. The username is just from a favourite Steely Dan song!

I do still intend to go and at least look at the car on Monday. I'll keep you posted....thanks again.

Well, never accuse me of not listening to your collective advice!

Went and bought a 2007 1.6HDi Citroen C5 today from a Citroen main dealer.

5 main dealer stamps in the service book, 12 months Citroen approved used warrantly, newish Michelins all round (inc spare) on unmarked alloys, totally straight, ding-free bodywork, surprisingly quiet smooth engine (boy, diesels have really came on since the last XUD 1.9 lump I had in the ZX) and no alarm bells ringing at all.

Got a few quid off the already reduced sale price and ultimately did not spend significantly more than I was going to on the private Astra. More importantly the peace of mind means I'll sleep soundly tonight (I'll worry about blown turbos, FAPs and expensive suspension problems etc etc another time but I might just get an oil change/engine flush soonish just to be on the safe side)

Cheers!