Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - RicardoB

Just wondering whether the 1.7 diesel version of the new/current Astra is basically an "old" engine? I.e. been around for a few years in different guises, tweaks etc.

Something in the back of my mind says that a previous generation 1.7 was not the bees knees, so to speak.

That all said, now I do a lower mileage, the 1.4 turbo petrol reads well.

Thanks.

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - danidge
Nobody has replied- I was waiting for the experts to comment.

I am not a diesel expert , but my instincts are:

Vauxhall introduced a diesel in the Cavalier then Astra in 1992. This was an Isuzu made engine with turbo and received good reviews in Autocar magazine. There was also a GM diesel at this time which was deemed poor.

I believe it is the Isuzu engine which has been updated over the years going common rail in 2003. Check it out.....in 1992 it had 1686cc, 79 bore and 86 stroke- do not know what current one is.

If the above is correct then you might deem this an old engine. Does this matter? The older the better as far as I am concerned. Let somebody else find out the teething troubles.

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - RicardoB

Thanks. Yes, I was rather stunned by the silence!

I also had the same thoughts re Isuzu from years ago. And also agree re "old and tried has more going for it"!

Anyway, it's Euro V (or whatever the latest thing is).

Must way I'm tempted.

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - iFocus

Hi,

The 1.7 CDTi is a new GM design and has nothing to do with the old Isuzu units. Although the Isuzu unit is far from bad, I infact have one in an Astra G and it has over 140k on it.

Cheers

Craig

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - Victorbox

I beg to differ. I agree with the post above that according to Autocar the latest 1.7 diesel in the Meriva is the latest reincarnation of the old Isuzu 1.7 unit. http://tinyurl.com/2wgrnfs and seems to be quite brilliant in its latest guise. I assume the new Astra will get the same unit. A revered engine still when fitted to the old Mk3 Cavalier and capable of huge mileages.

Edited by Victorbox on 01/01/2011 at 09:53

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - danidge

A few snippets. When Autocar tested the Astra they were amazed by the economy (back in1992) and were impressed with refinement when tested in the Cavalier. Numerous colleagues had Cavalier 1.7TD during nineties and all were, or became, complimentary particularly on the economy. Remember in those days diesel was associated with a loss of power and prestige when being issued a company car.

During the last decade I have chatted with colleagues regarding their diesel Astras and cannot recall any negative comments. Indeed some have been amazed at the economy they were getting. One has the eco version of the 2003 cdti and is getting towards 70 mpg pounding up and down the motorway (his figures, not mine, but tallies with results obtained on test by Diesel Car magazine)

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - steve 1212

I don't claim to have great knowledge of diesel engines, but I have the current astra, and have had the previous two models (G H and J). The J and H are almost identical, and drive well, the G was what I would call an old style diesel and took more effort. Overtaking with the old one was about getting the revs right so that the turbo kicked in, with the new one you just floor it.

Vauxhall Astra I - Is the 1.7 cdti engine an "old" design? - 4raise
I have a new model 1.7 cdti. 
110hp is not so fast, but it's not because of the motor, rather it has to do with a heavy car in general. 
125hp is brilliant. Good pulling power, fanthastic economy for the car that is so heavy. 
Very quet for diesel. Kinda feels refine. 
I can't be sure is it Isuzu motor or GM. 

Love this car. 
It's good to know that you dont have to buy Audi to have similar driving feeling, not the same, but still great. 
I've driven A3, and I have to tell you that it fells like old generation according to new Astra. I was very surprised. Lets be real the new A3 is going to be probably better, but nice jump by Opel. 
If you are aiming to Astra, buy SW.