Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 Petrol - Leaking Water into Spark Plug bays/housings - trish11041985

Hi everyone

I was if anyone has had a similar problem with their Ford focus on 55 plate and whoever could suggest what is happening(is this a common problem),is it going to damage my car and may be how to solve the problem.

Basically, about a month ago, I was looking at my service record and was trying to work out if my car needed an Intermediate or Full service, so decided to get my partner to have a look at the air filter, pollen filter and oil using dip stick. As he did not know where about the pollen and air filter was decided to take engine cover off and discovered quite a large amount of water within the spark plug wells/housing. He cleaned out the water which seemed to have little bits in it but the air filter and oil looked dirty suggested get service done mid December when get paid.

I was thinking it’s time to get the service done now but while driving the car to the Tesco’s, started misfiring and ask partner if could see if a lead had come off one of the spark plugs or something. When he looked he again found again water with bits in and off looking colour in the wells/housing of spark plugs.

If anyone could help,know if common on fords or give advice about the situation it would be a great help.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 Petrol - Leaking Water into Spark Plug bays/housings - Railroad.

Assuming the water you say is coolant, this is fairly common on these engines. You need to remove the rocker cover and you will see two core plugs beside the plug leads. One or both of them will usually have failed.....

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 Petrol - Leaking Water into Spark Plug bays/housings - Talking Hoarse

This is not my "bag", as I don't have a Focus, but I think I recall a bulletin about faulty screenwasher pipes causing fluid leak onto top of engine /spark plug recesses. Must be worth a check for root cause when it is running right.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 Petrol - Leaking Water into Spark Plug bays/housings - trish11041985

Hi thanks for your responses.

I have taken into the local garage and have said it has come from rain water leaking down under the bonnet and water from the washer jets. have booked my car in for the service with the garage this afternoon.

However the mechanic at the garage has warned me that maybe if the spark plugs have been corroding for a while then it most likely some could snap while replacing them, from passed experience,but has agreed that if this happens he will stop the work and seek my judgement of the action needed.

Hi

During the service two of the spark plugs have snapped while tiring to remove. The garage had stopped the work, called me for what i want doing. Being a bit cautious I have met the mechanic and he shown me the procedures he’s used to get the spark plugs off and again its snapped. He stated that I have couple of options either the cheaper or more costly.

The cheaper is to have the snapped spark plugs drilled off while the head is still attached to the engine with the risks that while drilling splinters could go in the engine and damage the valves as he’s said he has done it before without the damaging occurring but unable to rule missing all splinters.

Or the more expensive option, taking the cylinder head off and drilling the spark plugs out and then replacing the head gasket then and cheeking the valves and the other bits to check alright. then re-thread where the spark plug screws into. Then complete service and then check the systems are all operating correctly.

The last of the two I have gone for as I need the car by Tuesday to travel and it seems the less risky option as currently using partners car for work.

Hopefully should get back by monday.