Nissan Almera 1.5S '53' - Replacing Timing Chains Process - johnnym4

I wonder if anyone on here can help clarify the process that needs to be followed here please?

Basically, my wifes car has had an engine warning light illuminated a few weeks back. Got a diagnostic test done on the message and it indicated 'camshaft sensor' fault and just needed replacing. It was safe to continue to drive I was told.

Last few days, car had appeared a little sluggish when starting up. Got it going each time and we put it down to the weather. Yesterday however, she would turn over but then cut out.

Got the camshaft sensor replaced but warning light still came back on. Was not with wife at the time. Apparently, the mechanic rang a nissan service bloke he knew, described the problem and said straight away, timing chains are gone. I was aware that there had been a historical fault on this model, but had hoped we had dodged a bullet with it, obviously not though.

Anyway, the mechanic is keen to help out but wants to establish, if the engine has to be removed completely to replace the chains or can he do the work with the engine in the car. Apparently having trouble getting back hold of this Nissan mechanic.

Can anyone clear up that matter for me? Will obviously make a massive difference on the labour costs, depending on the outcome. Whilst I am at it, does anyone know if in actual fact, after replacing the timing chains, is there any chance that there is actually something else wrong? Just worried about good money after bad. We have had some bad luck recently with this car. Its only a few months ago we had to replace the clutch and the gearbox (long story).

Any help or advice appreciated - thanks.

Nissan Almera 1.5S '53' - Replacing Timing Chains Process - injection doc
may be just may be its time to find another mechanic ! An experinced tech will A be aware of the timing chain issues, & B, they will know how to do the job and whats involved !
Spending money replacing sensors when a quick scope check for cam/crank sensor corrollation would of diagnosed the issue without buying parts.
Are you sure the escallating costs of your vehicle are not caused by someone who isn't fully competent on working on it ?
Nissan Almera 1.5S '53' - Replacing Timing Chains Process - bathtub tom

There's a Haynes for these which, if I recall correctly, describes the procedure for doing it with the engine in situ.

Perhaps worth trying your local library?

Nissan Almera 1.5S '53' - Replacing Timing Chains Process - johnnym4
may be just may be its time to find another mechanic ! An experinced tech will A be aware of the timing chain issues, & B, they will know how to do the job and whats involved ! Spending money replacing sensors when a quick scope check for cam/crank sensor corrollation would of diagnosed the issue without buying parts. Are you sure the escallating costs of your vehicle are not caused by someone who isn't fully competent on working on it ?

Thanks for the response, injection doc.

To be honest, the problems to this point, have been with a different garage (one of which used to be a Nissan technician)! This is a new guy who up to now, has been great to be honest with you and very helpful. He has done this job before on Micra's just not on an Almera.

He has looked at the timing chains and has seen they are not right.

We have had the car from new and regularly serviced. Its in the last 8 months, we appear to have had problem after problem though. Hate the thought of throwing good money after bad. Just want to get it working now and then trade it in for something else.

Nissan Almera 1.5S '53' - Replacing Timing Chains Process - bathtub tom

Do a 'google' on this.

You'll find there's a description of how far out the tensioner limit is.

Please let this forum know your findings.