Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - tr-tony

I bought my 05 Landcruiser from a main dealer at 14 months old with less than 10000 miles on the clock. Its now done 65000 miles and been regularly serviced by Toyota. 4 weeks ago the engine suffered a serious failure, whilst travelling at about 70mph it suddenly lost all power, the oil light came on and it rattled big time! I had to get it recovered back to my local Toyota agent who took the engine out and stripped it down. The cause was found to be the copper sealing washers under the injectors, 3 had been letting combustion gases past the seal and so contaminating the oil and over a period of time the carbon had built up on the gauze oil pick up in the sump to the extent that oil could no longer pass through it thus causing a partial seizure. I was then presented with estimates one for new 'short' engine at £5,700 or to rebuild my engine at about £5,200. When asked how they should proceed I suggested they talk to Toyota about a loyalty gesture of some sort which they agreed to do on my behalf. The next day I had a call from the garage to say that Toyota had agreed to cover the cost of a new 'short' engine in full. Apparently they had extended the warranty on that model from 3 to 5 years or 100,000 miles and even though mine is 5 years 7 months old they still agreed to cover the cost in full!! This was a fantastic result for me and all credit to Toyota and my local agent in Colchester but it leaves me wondering, if this is a known fault and I believe it is because they now use aluminium washers, shouldn't they be changed as a matter of course. I knowToyota have had enough bad press with recalls lately but couldn't they be changed discreetly at the time of a service, it could cost them very dearly otherwise.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - Collos25

Its a good result for you I bet your heart missed a beat when they gave you the costs for a new engine.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - Dutchie

Would you believe it a washer what cost a few pence caused all that damage.Credit to Toyota they have treated you ok .Strange that copper or brass makes all that difference to aluminium.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - injection doc

Take my hat off to Toyota, praise where its due. The difference being is that it has restored your faith and you will most likley buy another.

Don't forget that its often a 2 bob part that can bring an airliner down so a washer failure on an injector doesn't suprise me in the least.

Yes absolutely, they could not have been better, there was no quibbling or arguments they just got on with it, much to my relief!! I would certainly consider buying another when the time comes.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - 659FBE

Well done.

How about sending a copy of the correspondence to VAG at MK? Could you imagine them doing the same thing?

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - Cathalh
Hi Tony

I am in Northern ireland and have also had the same problem with my 2005 Landcruiser with 66000 Miles. I also had the servicing done with my local Toyota agent . The engine has not gone but the jeep is with the Toyota agent at present. They are looking for me to cover the cost of labour and some of the parts. Can I ask if you had any contribution to make or did your local toyota garage cover all of the costs including labour?
Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - gordonbennet

I understand that Toyota Ireland have been quietly replacing the copper washers not quite on a recall basis but more or less when they get their hands on one of the affected vehicles.

This has been the subject of discussion for quite a few disgruntled UK owners for obvious reasons.

I don't see any reason Cathalh why you should be paying anything at all provided your vehicle has been serviced correctly and especially if Toyota have been doing the work anyway....has your dealer contacted Toyota customer services yet, if not it's probably time for you to write to the top man.

Hi Cath

Hi Cathalh, sorry for not replying earlier but I have been away for a few weeks (NZ). Anyway Toyota did pay for the complete job, my only contribution was about £30.00 for a new timing belt. I trust by now you have your car back and you had the same good fortune as I did. If not, go back to Toyota and quote my story, whats good for one should be good for another! Incidently they are everywhere you look in New Zealand so I hope Toyota are prepared for what could be a very expensive time ahead! Regards, Tony

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - Peter.N.

Toyota are very good if not the best in this regard, a friend of mine sent his in for a service and the garage noticed that it was using excessive oil, my friend had not complained about it or possibly even noticed it but the car came back with a new engine - free of charge.

If I was fgiven a free choice of cars I would buy a Toyota on the strength of that - only the don't make one that fits my needs.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - bad engine

Tony my 55 plate Landcruiser has gone the same way as yours unfortunately, Toyota have taken the decision not to help in any way, very frustrating as we have had the car for six years and now find ourselves stuck with a car that is too expensive to fix, I have spent hours in an e-mail debate with Joe the customer service manager who admits there is an ‘improvement program in place to change the washers out but as our car had not been maintained by a Toyota service centre we would not fall under their goodwill scheme that I think you did.

Joe pointed us towards the dealer we bought the car from Toyota World Tamworth but they again are not interested, they took our hard earned money quickly enough, so I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone, in fact the whole episode has turned both my wife and myself off Toyota completely which is shocking considering I was their biggest fan only last year.

Not knowing where to go for an engine is the show stopper, there are so many unscrupulous engine companies out there trading under so many different names we have been left with no option but to sell it ‘as is’ on e-bay in the vague hope that we can recoup a fraction of the cost we spent on it.

We are looking to take Tamworth to court under the trade description act, can anyone help on this?

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - skidpan

One of the main reasons I only use the main dealer and not independants for servicing is to ensure any "campaigns" on the car are sorted, independants cannot do this. Some dealers will check on a ad-hoc basis but most are not interested since there is very little money in it for them even if work needs doing and nothing if it doesn't.

As regards to winning in court I wish you the best of luck. Your car is coming up to 8 years old and has not been Toyota maintained. The warranty ran out years ago.

Nothing lasts forever.

Toyota Landcruiser LC4 - Toyota Landcruiser engine failure - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Glad to hear you were lucky that Toyota paid for the repair. Some of us are not so lucky. My 08 Avensis 2.2 diesel had a head gasket failure last year - and toyota refused to pay for the repair!!! They cited it was 'outside' the three year warranty and not serviced by a Toyota dealer - even though it was serviced using Toyota genuine parts by a VAT registered garage. The car was an ex company car from where I work and was purchased from them within the warranty period. I was lucky that my firm provided me with a free secondhand warranty that paid the majority of the bill. That was galling enough but the Toyota dealer was even worse!! They said I needed a water pump at circa £200 + fitting which I declined. Upon inspction by me, there was no sign of a leak and 12 months later its still looking fine. They also reported a low oil level fault on roadtest - which was ok before it went in. The sensor to fix the problem was circa £250 + fitting which I again declined. I did research the oil problem on the net and was advised to change the oil to the correct spec...something I thought the dealer had done. I changed the oil making sure it was correct spec and hey presto!!! problem sorted. So, respect for Toyota and their dealers??? None!!! Buy another Toyota??? NEVER!!!

Looking at the new Kia Ce'ed Estate??? Oh, yes indeedy

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am