Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - AJC123
Chaps,

I've just bought (3 weeks ago) myself the above car, all appeared well. It drove nicely on the test drive and everything. I would regard myself as not in the naeive category but it now has the following problem..

The steering is notching just to the left and right from dead straight. There is increased resistance in these two areas and a clunk sound as you past them with a small vibration fromt he foot well. The garage (an independant - not the one I bought it from) suggest it is a worn steering rack but after a long commute it is fine with no clunking/resistance or anything.

It is Under warranty through Momentum who have told me to go jump as it hasn't failed it is just down to wear and tear. Garage are trying to charge me £720 for new rack and labour (5hrs). I've found the part from Eurocar parts for only £330 and dropping the subframe would onlytake 2/3hrs from what I've read.

I'm taking it back to the garage I bought it from on Thurs as they said they'd looka t it for me.

All suggestions on what is wrong and course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.
Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - Collos25

Take the car back ask them to mend it if they will not get your money back you are entitled.

Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - Peter D

It may not be the rack. It could be a suspension or steering ball joint or a strut top bearing. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - bathtub tom

Doesn't the UJ in the steering column on these cause problems?

Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - AJC123
Winner is PeterD

Got bored with garage messing me about, between taking it to the dealer I bought it off I put it up on axle stands, removed the wheels and seperated the rack by undoing the track rod ends from the upright.

Found that there was no play whatsoever in the rack. Girlfriend sat in the drivers seat and carefully move wheel clockwise and anticlockwise, couldn't feel a thing. Next started rotating disks about the strut, nothing on the nearside but on the drivers side (off side) you could feel a small amount of bind and see the spring coil up and then release when moving past this point.

I took this back the the garage last thursday and they did their own investigation finding the same thing - next week they replace the strut top bearing - for free.. and a CV boot which has split.

They appear to be nice people at Bury New Road car centre. :o)

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.
Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - Peter D

Thought so. See if they will change the N/S strut bearing as it must be close behind. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo mk3 2.0L 130 TDCi - Steering rack notching - cbrown7

I'm very interested to see how this works out, I have exactly the same issue on my 2005 2.0 130PS TDCi Mondeo at 80k. Issue is only present when vehicle has stood for a while and worse in cold conditions, i.e.now.