toyota rav4 2004 1998cc petrol XT3 - clutch replacement - lilydog

hi, i have just had a full service on my rav at a cost of £235, and the garage informs me that i need the clutch replacing! the mileage is 44616 and is driven locally and not used hard. They have just informed me that the cost for rreplacement would be £870 all in! The door straps need replacing as well at £63 each. They inform me that the price quoted is for toyota parts. Do i just accept this or do i get a second opinion. apparently if i dont get it done soon it will slip and damage the flywheel. I must just say I do not have a clue about any of this and just take told to me! any advice please?

toyota rav4 2004 1998cc petrol XT3 - clutch replacement - injection doc
I would always welcome a second opinion but with a RAv 4 genuine parts are more benificial and the price isn't too bad.
check strap failure can cause more damge in the long run & yes if the clutch slips it does cause more damage!
toyota rav4 2004 1998cc petrol XT3 - clutch replacement - lilydog

many thanks, will get another opinion or least another quote! i just dont know if and when it could slip but will definitely go with genuine parts. i know its the labour costs that makes it so expensive and i suppose that varies from garage to garage. many thanks again for your advice.

toyota rav4 2004 1998cc petrol XT3 - clutch replacement - spanner13

Hi,petrol or diesel? the petrol version is relatively straight forward to replace,the diesel is another story,a lot more striping out items including removing the lower subframe.

Clutch slip: if you potter round say in 2nd gear then go an put your foot down, and the physical speedo speed is very slow on changing but the rev counter if fitted climbs drastically fast - suspect clutch slip,also you may here raised engine revs with no apparent speed change, you may also notice a horrible buring type smell from the engine bay,just a couple of views from a MR T Techy

codeman@tiscali.co.uk

toyota rav4 2004 1998cc petrol XT3 - clutch replacement - Collos25

Hand brake on try set of in third gear if it stalls the clutch is ok if the engine revs up its on its last legs.