Skoda Octavia VRS & MG ZT-T cdti - My lovely Skoda VRS vs ....an MG?! - Joe B

HI All,

1st ever post so please be kind. I was wondering what your views are regarding my possible intentions re: swapping my 1.8 20v Turbo petrol Skoda (love the car to bits but cost of fuel now becoming a problem) for a very late model diesel MG ZT-T 135+cdti?

I should be able to afford a 'decent' one with reasonable mileage, etc (some for sale have been to the moon and back which I suppose is a good sign). My VRS was a good one to start with, with everything still being tip top and should sell easily for a good price.

My concerns are that on the one hand this MG supposedly has the BMW sourced 2.0 engine and gearbox that is totally bulletproof and on the other hand the car can suffer from electical issues and the dreaded clutch / dual mass flywheel wallet breaker.

I'm a real world guy working to a tight budget. Any views on whether I should stay with my VAG sourced reliable fuel drinker or jump ship to the riskier MG please? It'll be soon if at all as tax/insurance is due soon.

thanks in advance. Joe

Skoda Octavia VRS & MG ZT-T cdti - My lovely Skoda VRS vs ....an MG?! - Collos25

I recently ran a ZTT diesel 54 plate it was a nice car had to put new clutch in £1k plus new alternator,not as economical as you would expect 35 in normal use rising on longer runs.The motors have one or two inherant problems you must keep on top of ie keeping the ecu dry .

Certain parts are like hens teeth to get but normal service parts are available and reasonable priced.I would think that the main problem is finding a car in good condition most have mega mileage especially diesels.To widen your choice look at Rover 75 tourer identical car don't forget the last one was made in 2005 ,I would look on the various specific forums and see what the common faults are overall a very nice well put together motor unfortuneatly obselete.

Skoda Octavia VRS & MG ZT-T cdti - My lovely Skoda VRS vs ....an MG?! - Avant

There's a large element of risk in buying any used diesel, as even with a basically good car like the 75/ZT one expensive repair negates any fuel saving you were going to make.

I suggest you either keep the one you've got till it starts needeing uneconomic repairs, or else - oif your annual mileage is high enough to justify it - think about an Octavia diesel. The 1.9 TDI seems to have the best reputation for reliabiltiy and longevity, and of course you will also find this engine in other VAG models. You'll get a newer Skoda for your money than a similarly-powered VW or Audi.

Skoda Octavia VRS & MG ZT-T cdti - My lovely Skoda VRS vs ....an MG?! - Joe B

Thanks guys. Also had a reply from the team at HJ which basically said the same thing. In the real world it won't actually make much advantage mpg wise, and therefore isn't worth the risk of the big costs should something go bump.

As for the VAG 1.9 tdi idea - totally agree. I had (2 cars ago) Skoda's Fabia VRS 1.9tdi - brilliant car and really spoiled me with it's superb mpg despite bags of torque meaning at was ridiculously quick from 30-80. Problem was the car was just too small for the family.

My plan now is to keep my Octavia VRS for a few years, I don't do the mileage to justify jumping ship to a derv (well, in other words I can stand the juice bill a bit longer), get my money's worth out of it before selling for a reasonable price - slow depreciation on these if you bought used in 1st place as there'll always be a demand for them. At the same time I'll be saving - Octavia VRS diesel version will be next, doubt I'll ever need anything else!

Thanks again - your replies and HJ's really put my mind at rest.