Vauxhall Vectra 2001 - Unstable Handling - Deryck

I have had a problem with the handling on my Vectra for a while now but it seems to have got worse recently.

There is a pull to the left and the steering wheel can jump around over uneven surfaces. The car used to handle quite well (for a Vectra) around bends and I had every confidence in her. Now I am not quite sure what it will do.

It sometimes feels like it is crabbing and the front wheels feel like they are "digging in" when a little more steering is applied.

The last service highlighted that the front tyres are wearing more on the outside edges.

Could this need a full geometry check? I have read that camber and toe-out could be the cause? Any ideas are appreciated.

Vauxhall Vectra 2001 - Unstable Handling - Collos25

You have answered your own question the front tyres are probable shot due to the tracking been out but also worn suspension could also been to blame.

Vauxhall Vectra 2001 - Unstable Handling - Deryck

Yes, the tracking was adjusted but still no better. The suspension has not been noted on the MOT - at least no leaks. If the suspension is shot then it could be time to part ways!

I might spend a few quid to have the geometry checked. One thing I didn't mention is the tram-lining. It never used to do it and now slight ruts in the surface or white line have it dancing all over the place! I have changed tyre makes and that isn't the problem.

Vauxhall Vectra 2001 - Unstable Handling - Chris M

Almost certainly rear suspension bushes. Not too dificult a DIY job as long as the bolts aren't rusted. Special tool available on ebay and from motor factors for about £40.