Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - change

Hi All I have a 1999 facelift 1.8 ls some small mods done like red led dash, titanium dash and surrounds, short shift gear lever, colour coded handles and debadged the rear.

I have recently be offered a swap with the following car and to be honest am seriously considering it as I do alot of start stop miles and this would be more economical.

2000 ROVER 45 SLIVER 1.4
92800 miles, Great driving car, drives 100%,
New modified Head Gasket & Timing belt both with less than 3k, New Gearbox and clutch with 30000 miles,
Moted to 20th march 2011 taxed to feb 2011,
rover alloys with 4 brand new tyres.a/c, remote controll central locking 2 keys and 2 fobs, front electric windows, sony xplod cd player mg zs dials sliver facial with red arms and lights
Full service less than 2k consisting of oil, air & fuel filters Spark plugs. New brake pads and disks. Miles will slightly increase as the car is in everyday use

I have never driven one of these cars so any advice would be welcome.

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - bathtub tom

>>I have never driven one of these

Do you mean you haven't even taken it for a test drive?

What evidence do you have of all the (supposed?) service details?

I havent been to see the car yet, I am going by the details of an email from the guy therefore I have no evidence of the service details. I am trying to get some advice that supposing the service has been carried out with reciepts and stamps to prove this and that the car drives well on test drive would this be a good change or would I be looking at various faults down the line.

I know this is supposing alot but would like to be armed with as much information before going to see the car, sorry to be so vague.

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - madf

It's a Rover with a new headgasket. Unless the head has been skimmed and done properly, the HG will go again. The owner has spent a fortune on it and is selling it.

I suggest desperation to get rid.

If you want a possible source of continuing hg bills, do it..

Otherwise, you may be lucky or not.

Personally, I would run a mile, and then another....

Edited by madf on 02/11/2010 at 12:59

I understand what you are saying but if the hg has been skimmed and done properly would this continue to be a problem?

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - madf

IF IF IF...

How would I check this would it state Skimmed on the service record?

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - Collos25

Look at it from the other direction why would he want to swap unless there was an underlying problem with the Rover have a friend in the UK who makes a good living repairing Rovers he would love new customer .

I have tried to look at it from that direction but then he could be thinking the same about mine as it was him who answered my swap advert
Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - Vitesse6

Better the devil you know - unless of course there is something major going wrong with your car which is pushing you to get rid of it.

If yours is running ok, then I would stick with it. The saving in fuel costs would easily be wiped out by one repair bill on the Rover.

It's not only the fuel I would be saving on, it is cheaper tax and insurance also but maybe your right and that saving would be wiped out be a costly hg repair.
Vauxhall Vectra B facelift to rover 45 - change of car? - conara
Hi not to put a downer on the swap but !!! Are they getting rid of it because of the problems they have had ? Eg head gasket gearbox ect as if the car was A1 you had just spent out on all the bits you had listed most people would hold on to it for a bit to recoup or benefit from all the money spent, how long have they owned the car ? Has it had paint ? Have they raged it about or tried to trick it up ? If it was a top draw straight motor it would probably fetch 1/3 more than yours at a car auction, so just watch out If it looks to good to be true !! It usually is !!!!