mondeo 1.6i zetec - stevie nicks
HELP!.... I own a mondeo 1.6i (1993), i have a problem, When i first start the car after an overnight stand the engine seems to rattle as if there is a lack of oil, I have flushed and replaced with the required oil (5 w/30) but this has not seemed to cure the problem. Could this be anything to do with oil pumps, filters, etc.....Any ideas much appreciated. ps. the engine idles ok after a 5-10 minute warm up.
mondeo 1.6i zetec - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If the cam belt is slack it will make in irregular rattling noise as it contacts the plastic covers. The noise will disappear after 5 or so mins as the engine warms up. Check it by removing the top belt cover (2 x 8mm bolts) when cold and start the engine. The belt should be drum tight, if it whips up and down between the cam sprockets it is slack. If the belt is older than 3 years or 36000 miles replace it, the rollers and tensioner anyway.
mondeo 1.6i zetec - madf
Has it got a Proper Ford oil filter?
Some after market replacements have no oil va;ve in the filter allowing oil to drain out whilst stopped. On startup, the engine has no oil pressure until the filter is refilled.

(a common problem with non Ford servicing).
madf
mondeo 1.6i zetec - stevie nicks
thanks for the info....i'll try the oil filter as i do not know whether it has a non-return valve fitted.........thanks
mondeo 1.6i zetec - blank
IIWY, I would follow Mr Moorey's advice. He is very knowledgable and the check sounds straightforward.

If you don't and the fault is the cambelt, you'll be sorry!
mondeo 1.6i zetec - Big John
I had this problem on a VW Passat I had just purchased at the time. It was caused by by buildups of crud in the hydraulic tappets causing overnight oil drainback origininally from the tappets probably caused by infrequent oil changes before my ownership!(where have I heard this before) . I cured it after a couple of oil changes that were both preceded with a thorough dosing of WYNN's engine flush.