Ford Mondeo Ghia 2001 Petrol Manual - Mondeo Sluggish - Robert Thomson

Hello,

I have a Ford Mondeo Ghia 2001 Petrol Manual. I had started to run low on oil - my oil was still above the min level on the dip stick.

I stopped at a Shell Garage and bought oil and topped the oil up. The car run fine for the rest of the day. However the next day after driving the car for around 15 minutes the car became sluggish. If I tried to accelerate hard the car would badly jerk.

I have checked the oil I got from the garage and it is 5W-40. After checking the manual I should have used 5W-30.

Would using the wrong oil cause this or do I have another problem?

It only happend after I topped up with the wrong oil. It was running smooth with no problems before and it only seems to happen when the engine has been running for some time and it warm.

Thanks for your help.

Ford Mondeo Ghia 2001 Petrol Manual - Mondeo Sluggish - Dutchie

Before the top up how long has your car been running on just above minimum level and when was your last oil change? You might have caused some damage running your engine on a low oil level.

Hello,

the car was running around 1 day with oil level above the minimum. Last oil change was 2 months ago.

The oil was topped up with 5W-40 instead of 5W-30.

The jerking and rough idle only started after i topped up with the wrong oil and only seems to happen when the engine is warm.

I have done and oil and filter change today. Since the change the jerking and rough idle is still there but it is not as bad and is not there all the time.

How long should it take for the new oil to start circulating and get rid of the old oil?

thanks

Ford Mondeo Ghia 2001 Petrol Manual - Mondeo Sluggish - Dutchie

Iam not sure if the top up did any harm to your engine Robert.If you did a oil and filter change today it should be fine.Take the car for a good blast on the motorway and get the engine hot.It might be another problem.Hope this helps.

Hello,

After driving the car several hours, the jerking started to stop and it was running more smoothly.

It seems to run more smoothly when the engine has been running a while and is hot. however the jerking is still there, it just is not as bad and not constant.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Or do I have to run the car for a while to let the new oil circulate?

thanks

Just had the AA out to check. Turns out the Coil has burnt out and needs replaced.

Ford Mondeo Ghia 2001 Petrol Manual - Mondeo Sluggish - dirtyharry

Can be 2 things when did u last change ur fuel filter and air filter to the engine ..

if you have not done it for a long while do that and I am sure things would improve ....

lack of proper fuel or air in combustion can give you the jerk as the full flow of fuel and air is not avaible and when ever it gets it it races and than falls back

hope this helps