Last minute P/Ex fault! - Wizard346

I'm just about to buy a brand new car from my local dealership (who have been excellent by the way) and today my current car that I'm part ex'ing developed a fault with its stability control system. I don't want to give makes and models to remain anonymous, but I've had the fault checked and ti could be one of two things, one (the more likely) will cost £100-200 and the other £1000-1200.... I'm supposed to be picking up my new car in a day or so and so I have no time to get the fault fixed. I'm under pressure from the dealership to complete the delivery as well, presumably so they can meet monthly quotas.

When the dealer looked over my car a couple of days ago he didn't start the engine but did an otherwise thorough check on it, but at that time there was no fault anyway. He gave me an ok part ex figure, but not quite what it was worth. I did get a good dealer deposit contribution though so I was happy with that. The question is, do I just turn up, hand over the keys and drive away in my new one and say nothing? Then just say that it was ok when I dropped it off if they phone me and have a go? This edition of the car doesn't store dates and times of faults so there's no way they could prove I knew the fault already existed.... They're probably going to auction it anyway as it's 6 years old and isn't their marque. I realise that part ex figures are designed to take account of the odd fault that needs fixing but my honest side is making me wrestle with my conscience!!

Any thoughts??

Last minute P/Ex fault! - Collos25

If its over two years old he will more than likely be sending it to auction or selling out to the trade I woundn't worry one bit.

Last minute P/Ex fault! - Mike H

I can understand your dilemma! Common man vs. big bad car dealer.....

So given the checks he made when he looked over the car a few days ago, would he have noticed the fault had it existed then? If the answer is "no", then I'd say that the old rule of caveat emptor applies - he had the opportunity to make all those checks that were relevant to the purchase of your car, and presumably he made them to his satisfaction. And he is a professional car purchaser. If he chose not to check that the stability control system was in working order, then so be it. Personally, I'd wing it and not say anything if this was the case.

Edited by Mike H on 22/10/2010 at 18:59

Last minute P/Ex fault! - nortones2

And it will cost a fraction of the amount punters are charged to deal with the fault - if there is anything serious. Its nxt destination will be auction I expect.

Last minute P/Ex fault! - Vitesse6

If you expect the dealer to play fair by you in the future, then do the decent thing and be honest with them now. Fair dealing cuts both ways.

Last minute P/Ex fault! - Dutchie

Truth is the most valuable thing we have ,so I try to conserve it.

Last minute P/Ex fault! - bonzo dog

There's only one type more dishonest, cheating, lying, misleading & crooked than a dealer ...... & that's a customer.

Tell me, if you have a problem with your new car will you expect the dealer / manufacturer to fix it or will you just sell it at an auction & shucks to your loss?

The fact that you're considering it demonstrates your "honest side"

Last minute P/Ex fault! - m0bov

Why pay to fix the car, after all its his car since the deal was done!

Last minute P/Ex fault! - fredthefifth

Presumably there's a warning light or something so you can't claim you didn't know?