Ford Mondeo MK2 ST24 1999/T - Noisy aircon MK2 Mondeo 2.5 V6 - garethd

Hi

I've got a very nice low mileage (55k) ST24 that has got noisy in the area of the aux drive belt - when I turn on the aircon it gets noisier so think it is the compressor. Have been quoted £500-£600 all in for a new one from Kempston Radiators. Not sure I want this kind of outlay bearing in mind car's age and that there is some rust that may need attention where the cill meets the rear wheel arch on the driver's side. Possible options suggested by the helpful guy who services my cars are to fit a secondhand one off ebay (£46 delivered plus couple of hours labour) or to fit a shorter belt to bypass the compressor and do without the aircon. I would be very greatful for any opinions on these two options - has anyone out there tried the second option ?

Many thanks

Gareth

Ford Mondeo MK2 ST24 1999/T - Noisy aircon MK2 Mondeo 2.5 V6 - elekie&a/c doctor

I think it may be a good idea to get the poly-v belt off first and check all the pulleys for rotational noise.Also is the belt in good condition?It could possibly be the original.If the a/c pump does prove to be the problem,then I would go with a used item.I think you will miss the a/c not working if the compressor is bypassed and will find the windows will steam up in damp weather.hth

Ford Mondeo MK2 ST24 1999/T - Noisy aircon MK2 Mondeo 2.5 V6 - garethd

Good advice - thanks v. much, I will do the checks you suggest. I think you're right re. missing the a/c - would also make it more difficult to sell when the time comes - hopefully not for some time though as I really like the car.