bmw 3 Series Compact E46 - Car breaks down while being taken to garage - Shadow Warrior

My car was hit by another car while parked, the other driver accepted full responsibility and I contacted my insurance broker who in turn contacted there no-win/no-fee type solicitors who then appointed a garage to collect my car. Upon being driven to the garage the my car broke down. I was told that the engine had seized and that it was my responsibility to pay for the repair, I later found out that the garage was 30 miles+ from my home.

The garage have consistantly tried to make me accept the car back in an unworkable state, which I have refused, they are now threatening to crush my car in the next 14 days because I have refused to accept it back in an unworkable state.

Any advice on what I can do next please.

Thanks

bmw 3 Series Compact E46 - Car breaks down while being taken to garage - Dutchie

Hello,your car was hit by another car ,what was the damage? Why was your car not picked up by a low loader and taking to the garage.After your car was hit it was drivable did you have any engine problems before the incident.Just some questions to clear this.

bmw 3 Series Compact E46 - Car breaks down while being taken to garage - Shadow Warrior

Hi, The damage was to the left passenger door and was still drivable after the accident, I had no engine problems before the accident, they have said because there was no engine damage that is why they did not use a low loader. I was not satisfied with this explanation though especially when I found out how far the garage was.

bmw 3 Series Compact E46 - Car breaks down while being taken to garage - Dutchie

I would say in my humble opinion that the garage is responsible for the damage caused to your car.Would you have give them permission to drive over 30 miles to a garage width a damaged car? I wouldt! I would get in touch with your insurance or broker and explain the situation unless Lucy B has another explanation where you stand legally.

bmw 3 Series Compact E46 - Car breaks down while being taken to garage - ablandy

I wouldnt say 30 miles is a long way. The car had damage to the door, it was still driveable so dont really see how thats an issue. Did YOU drive the car after the impact?

Age and mileage of the car is a factor as well as the extent of the damage. A little knock to the door is not likely to have caused a engine problem. A massive knock to the door could have knocked a hose off which could lead to overheating and seizing, but this is pretty unlikely. Something else to consider is that surely it would be in the garages interest to say the problem was caused by the accident, because they would be able to charge the insurers. If it blatantly isnt, they wouldnt be able to.

I suspect the engine was going to break down fairly soon anyway. It may have been hurried along by the garage driving your car "enthusiastically", but I very much doubt you can pin the blame on the garage. It sucks I know, but looks like you are going to have to pay to get it repaired or sell it on.