VW Golf TDI 110 - VW Golf Cat C buy back - nniuQeoJ

Hi, I've recently been involved in an accident where the other person went through a red light on me. The front end was smashed in on the side which got hit, bumper (with winter pack), wing, bonnet and headlight. The salvage firm or whoever opened the bonnet have done yet more damage to the vehicle by opening the bonnet and have bent the radiator and air con rad too.

Basically, it's been written off as a Cat C, but we haven't talked money yet as I wanted a second estimate as £4k seemed far too high when the chassis is fine. The car only has 60k on the clock and is absolutely immaculate both inside and out. I'm thinking of buying it back and getting it fixed myself, but my concern is that when I went to see it the other day, the yard where it's been kept are using a forklift to lift it and transport it around, even though it's perfectly driveable. I was wondering if this might cause any damage underneath the car which would cause me problems in the long run. Half of me thinks just say bye bye to the car, but I know for the money they'll probably give me, I won't be able to find one as good as this. The engine has plenty of life left in it too.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

VW Golf TDI 110 - VW Golf Cat C buy back - Collos25

I don't know about the legal side of the way your car has been treated I would have thought it was still yours untill the insurance company pays out, but do you really want it now you don't say how old the car is here in Germany they would repair it to 130% of its market value but I think in the UK you are lucky to get market value.

VW Golf TDI 110 - VW Golf Cat C buy back - nniuQeoJ

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I might have to look into the way it's been handled, it's caused at least £150 of damage that is visible ( if I was to buy a new front head light with foglight). It's a MK 4 from 2002, but only has 60k on the clock. I think over here they go to about 25% of the value of the car, Germany sounds much better as by the sounds of it, you're being put back where you were befre the accident, instead of being given a low sum to then go out car shopping again. A much fairer system.

I might ring my local garage and get the car inspected underneath for forklift damage before I get any body work done so I don't find any horror stories afterwards.