Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - john96

Looking for long termer (5years+) can get 1.4 jazz 05-06 within my budget with fsh etc. Given that I currently drive a 2 litre petrol, am I going to hate it?

Will be used for a 20 mile commute and occasional mway trips. Should add that I am wanting to save some cash on running costs so perhaps my first point is academic!

Also been looking at the 1.6 focus, but dont think that its much better on fuel than my 2 litre, so apart from being newer, not much advantage. I do fancy the diesel 1.6 but being put off by all the horror stories on net about impending large bills from failing turbo, injectors, fuel pump, dmf, etc!!!!

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - Berisford

I'm happy with our Jazz. See my review in the 'Reviews' section.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - Avant

I think you'll be fine with a Jazz. It should be less liable to major failure than a secondhand diesel, and certainly more economical than a 1.6 Focus.

Fifth gear is a little low for motorways but if most of your mileage isn't at these speeds you shouldn't find this a problem.

A lot of first owners are elderly so you should be able to find one that's ben well looked after, although best to avoid one with VERY low mileage that may have spent its life doing half-mile trips to the shops.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - nick1975
Avoid unless you are a pensioner. Okay car but you feel like a loser driving it unless you are an oap. Focus much better but get a d if you want mpg

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - KB.

"Okay car but you feel like a loser driving it unless you are an oap".

I take it you're speaking on behalf of all Jazz owners then...OAP and not so OAP?

Could it just be that there are a few under 65's (if that's where we draw the lineof being an OAP) who appreciate a small but roomy, reliable and cheap to run motor and don't necessarily see themselves as OAP's?

Speaking personally I'd rather not be classed as a 'loser'by the likes of your goodself on the basis of my ownership of an extremely popular and capable car sold in their thousands to a reasonable cross section of the community.

To the OP.....draw your own conclusions on the basis of the hundreds of reviews available for the Jazz.....OR... if you do happen to be a 'Loser' - go straight for the Jazz.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - daveyjp
My dad has one. Get a good test drive over our potholed roads. The suspension is very unforgiving and I found it far too harsh.

I think that your advice is spot on ref the suspension. Have read a few reports about how hard it is,

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - Dutchie

The suspension is a bit harsh but lets face it any car on some of our roads will suffer.We had the CVT version nice to drive,last year on a long haul to the south of France no problems. Good for short runs economical on petrol.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - corax
My dad has one. Get a good test drive over our potholed roads. The suspension is very unforgiving and I found it far too harsh.

Agree about the test drive. You're not going to know until you do that, and then you may love it or hate it.

If you test drive a diesel Focus and find you prefer it, get one with fairly low mileage and buy a decent warranty to cover comprehensively.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - mike hannon

Very, very few people who own or have owned a Honda ever feel like a loser - in spite of what the less fortunate may think.

Personally, if I am ever reduced to owning one particularly common make I'll know it's time to give up and use my bus pass (if I have one).

So there.

So I'm not the only one, Mike , to think this extremely popular car is, in fact, not specifically for the use of losers then.

How many of the opinions received so far are from owneres or users who have first hand experience? The OP seems to agree that it has hard suspension - with or without first hand knowledge I don't know....so perhaps doesn't require any further advice?

But then, who am I to say?....I've only had mine for two years - and used it on those..... super smooth....Devon lanes.....you know, the ones without ruts, potholes or any surface imperfection.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - NARU
My wife (certainly no OAP) loves her 05 1.4 Jazz. I even offered to buy her a new mx-5 as a replacement and she said no.

The 'magic seats' make it extremely versatile too - almost as useful as an estate.

Ive not driven one yet, just noting that several reviews have said the suspension is "firm".

My Mum´s friend and her husband both drive jazzs, they live in Glasgow and have not mentioned any faults with the drive, so maybe its not so bad!!

The only way to find out is have a test drive and take all revieuws with a pinch of salt.You either take to a car or you dont.Good luck.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - pyruse

We've had our Jazz (55 plate, CVT) for about 9 months now.

Best car I've ever owned.

Quiet, very economical (50+ MPG on a run, 40+ MPG around town). Seats are very comfortable - no back-ache on long journeys.

Astonishingly roomy - can fit more in the Jazz than on our late Nissan Almera.

1.4 engine has ample power, fine on motorways, and you can put the car in 7 speed manual mode and pretend you are a rally driver if you want.

Just about the perfect small car.

I said you feel like a loser. I did not say you are one for driving one!
I am 35 and had a jazz for 2 years. It was fine but honestly I checked every other driver on the road with one and it was always some old duffer.

Check out Honda tv on free view if you need further evidence.

Vastly over rated car
.................."I said you feel like a loser. I did not say you are one for driving one! I am 35 and had a jazz for 2 years. It was fine but honestly I checked every other driver on the road with one and it was always some old duffer. Check out Honda tv on free view if you need further evidence. Vastly over rated car"...........................................

Well it's good to know us Jazz owners are not, by definition, actually losers. ... but instead just some old duffers - and you must be right because, as you've said, you've honestly checked out every driver on the road.

Well, I reckon then you must be right on this one and would therefore advise the OP, who is thinking of getting one, to avoid the Jazz as it's vastly over rated, only driven by the aforementioned 'old duffers' and makes you feel like a loser (but doesn't necessarily make you one).

Glad we've cleared than one up then.

FOR SALE - 2 year old Jazz CVT. One old duffer owner. Offers?

Finishes post with a politically correct smiley inserted at this point just to show no-one's too aggrieved by the whole affair..... :-)

Edited by KB. on 18/10/2010 at 22:52

Old duffers? Bit strong but as they say it takes all sorts.

Honestly I work at dvla and I ran a search on all registered jazz owners. 98.4% were over 65........

No wonder it takes such a long time getting through to the DVLA when you need to speak to them.....they're engaged in their own market research.

Better put another smiley in..... :-)

Hello nick as you work at the dvla,I send my old licence for renewal plus twentty pounds .About three weeks ago how long does it usually take before i receive my new licence?I am still waiting.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - mike hannon

This is the latest attempt at posting a reply. Nice to see all this site's problems have been ironed out...

Just hang on while I finish playing with this spreadsheet...

In France you can now buy a new 1.4 Jazz with a few toys for 12,990 euros, which for France is very good value.

After 28 years with Hondas, everything from Civic to Legend, I think the time may have come to take the Jazz with my name on it, even though I'm only 60.

Only snag is, I don't want a manual and I don't want the much-criticised I-Shift thing so I may have to go back a bit for a CVT version. I won't lose any sleep over that though - I've always said a Honda a few years down the road is still a better car than many other makes when they are new.

Shouldn't imagine you'll have trouble finding a decent 'previous' model. Mine is one of the last CVT's and is just coming up to two years old. It's been fine and hasn't done anything unexpected.

As I understand it the new model will be available as a Hybrid with a CVT in due course, but there's going to be a big diiference in price between a new CVT Hybrid and a two year old 'Mark one'.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - Davies91

Got to say you've hit the nail on the head. My parents have a Jazz 1.2 S.

The ride is very hard, and I found it a bit dull to drive overall. And the 1.2 was completely gutless.

My parent's last Honda was a 1997 Accord 1.8i (the one based on the Rover 600). That was a different kettle of fish. Lovely car.

In response to the original question. If I was looking for a small car that should be reliable and cheap to run. I think I'd go for the new Fiat Panda 1.3JTD. Seen nothing but good reviews for those Pandas.

Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - Tyke lass
I've got an 04 1.4 that does an average 40 mpg on a 16-mile round-trip commute on the motorway and in stop-start traffic. The ride's a bit firm but can't fault the rest, and the boot's massive. BUT watch out for problems with (manual) gearboxes (bearings, it'll sound like a tractor in 1st and 2nd) and rear wheel bearings. Honda issued a seven-year extended warranty on both on certain models (02 to 08, I think) last year. You only find out by taking it to the dealer for diagnosis and repairs. My gearbox needed reconditioning at 65,000 miles, unfortunately just five months before the bulletin was issued, so I had to pay. Not sure if the warranties only apply to cars with a full dealer service history, so be aware if you're buying second-hand. Also, check for water in the spare wheel well. Some have had rear boot seal problems. I think this might be covered under an extended warranty now as well. Having said all that, it makes every other car I've owned look like a bit of a dog, so get one.
Honda Jazz - Good long termer? honda jazz - madf

I drove both a Jazz and a Yaris before deciding. The ride over speed humps made it for me: Yaris. The Jazz was sooooo uncomfortable on rough roads.

No issues at all - now 7 years old...