Mitsubishi Shogun - Shogun 3.2 Di-D plumes of black smoke on tickover - Stropley

Hi I have a 2000 X reg Shogun LWB which sometimes kicks out plumes of black smoke when ticking over - so bad that pedestrians knocked on the window & told my wife the car is on fire on one occasion!

The car has only done 90,000 is well serviced & normally it doesn't smoke at all - at any engine speed but when this happens there is a 'clunk' from under the bonnet and the engine note drops a bit just beforehand.

It embarrassed me by doing it whilst on the ramp for the last MOT and the guy refused to continue the test after it filled his workshop with acrid diesel fumes! He did hear the clunk though, as the bonnet was up, & he started looking around the nearside area of the engine bay as it sounded like it came from there.

I initially thought turbo but that's on the offside and it does seem to be fuel burning rather than oil. She doesn't use any oil by the way.

It's intermittent which is even more annoying because I know if I cave in & take it to Mitsubishi it probably won't do it for them.

Any ideas?

Mitsubishi Shogun - Shogun 3.2 Di-D plumes of black smoke on tickover - Collos25

THe clunk and the engine revs dropping sounds like the aircon compressor starting how this would relate to smoke I wouldn't know.

Mitsubishi Shogun - Shogun 3.2 Di-D plumes of black smoke on tickover - Stropley

thanks for the reply and I would agree but the aircon belt is off at the moment.

It's doing it today - ticks over fast at about 1200 rpm and just suddenly drops to about 800 and that's when it starts smoking. The engine gets really noisy at this point as well - kind of clattery like the main bearings knocking.

I've put a tank of biodiesel in it today to give the fuel system a good clean out & see if this helps.

Any other ideas or anyone had the same problem please let me know

Mitsubishi Shogun - Shogun 3.2 Di-D plumes of black smoke on tickover - piston power

Has the intercooler pipes been checked for a split ?

Mitsubishi Shogun - Shogun 3.2 Di-D plumes of black smoke on tickover - Shoguns all the way
EGR valve sticking mine used to do it until I blanked it off problem solved