Ford Fiesta - Wheel bearings wear and tear??? - xxlj30xx

Hi My ford fiesta is 2 yrs old and i think the wheel bearings have gone/going. I have booked it into ford to be checked but i am concerned cos they are saying that if the wheel bearings aren't faulty and it's just wear and tear i have to pay. The car is 2.5 yrs old (diesel) and has done 49,000 miles I had a renault before that never needed wheel beraings done and that was 8 yrs old and had done 100,000 miles. Is it normal to have to replace them so soon? Seems strange to me and i don't want to have to pay for something like that every 2 yrs as it seems v experience. I brought a new car so i didnt have to pay out! Car was serviced in May and wheel bearings where fine by the noise was noticed in Aug. (yes i know i should have reported it earlier)

Any advice would be great as i don't trust this big companies to not tell me the truth

Ford Fiesta - Wheel bearings wear and tear??? - davmal

How many bearings, and front/back?

Regardless of that, two and a half years and 49,000 miles for a wheel bearing would suggest that the bearing was initally unfit for purpose, incorrectly installed or damaged on installation, unless of course you have been using your fiesta diesel for rallying or stunt driving.

As the car has been serviced, ask the service manager what maintenance the bearings are subject to, and what tests/checks were carried out on the bearings at the service.

I would push the point, and tell the servicing agent to contact Ford Customer Services and put your case.

They want you to pay because the dealers get a lesser rate for warranty work.

I think it is the Back off side, i don't get it serviced at Ford though as they are too expensive but the place i get it serviced have said they were checked in May.

Ford are looking at it Tuesday so i will see what they say but i just know they will try to get out of doing it under warranty. My main corncern is they have said i will have to pay £50 for them to just look at it which is a joke!

Ford Fiesta - Wheel bearings wear and tear??? - piston power

60k is the usual for parts or 3yrs which ever is sooner best read the small print.

Ford Fiesta - Wheel bearings wear and tear??? - bonzo dog

I would have said that under 3 years / 60k any wear (on the bearings) should be considered as premature therefore should be picked up by Ford warranty.

However ...... whilst it needn't have been serviced at a Ford franchise, you would need to prove it has been serviced according to Ford schedule for the warranty to remain in force.

Perhaps they will find the bearings are OK

Good luck

Edited by bonzo dog on 08/10/2010 at 17:38

Ford Fiesta - Wheel bearings wear and tear??? - tdc

For the Mk6 £20 will buy you one bearing kit,OE quality&spec,incl p&p.Law of averages suggest other side should be fine,sod`s law notwithstanding!)

An independent garage would probably charge you an hour`s labour to fit.Ask for quote not estimate,it`s a straight-forward job.Ford do not need to know,I can tell you don`t wish to grease their sweaty palms with a bullseye!

Edited by tdc on 08/10/2010 at 17:55

I have looked in my servicing book and i can't see anywhere that says 3yrs/60K or under so what small print should i be looking for?

If they refuse to do it i will take it to my regular garage and get them to do it. I have my service book stamped to show its been done and i have the details of what was done (even the wheel beraings were checked) !!!