Insurance - So can I drive another car? - fredthefifth

Hi All,

Question is a result of traffic cops etc programmes on the TV.

Have to admit that I am one of those that has been under the impression that I can legally drive another car without being named on the policy as long as the car is insured and I have the insured owners permission, although (and this is just a vague belief) the cover is reduced - road traffic act or something.

Its never really been a problem in the past because it never happened but now with the kids getting motors and their own insurance it is more of a possibility so need to be sure.

Can somebody explain exactly what the position is please?

Ta, FTF

Insurance - So can I drive another car? - AndyTheGreat

The other car does not have to be insured.

You need to check the exact wording on your policy, but taking mine as an example I am insured to drive any car with the owners permission, regardless of if that car is insured.

There will be plenty of posts about this on the forum if you do a search, it gets asked quite often.

Points to note are that typically you will only be covered for third party and that the car will only be covered while you are driving.

Just to add something further - driving an un-insured car under DOC typically does does not include any fire and theft cover, but does meet the legal requirement of third party cover.

Thanks Andy, agree there has been loads on this in other posts but they tend to be massive threads that diversify and would take me a couple of hours to catch up on and evem then there seems to be dispute or answers subject to so many variables.

What do you mean by under DOC? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

FTF

Insurance - So can I drive another car? - a900ss

DOC - Driving Other Cars

XDOC - eXcludes Driving Other Cars

Insurance - So can I drive another car? - Collos25

The simple answer is to ask the insurance company and then you will know for sure asking on this forum is going to give you so many different answers you will be no better informed at the end .

Insurance - So can I drive another car? - LucyBC

To try and do a definitive answer

To drive other cars (DOC) on a third party only basis:

1. There must be a clause in your policy which permits you to do so. Many policies don't have this benefit any more. Go and check.

Assuming you have the benefit:

2. It only covers the policyholder - not any named drivers. The policy holder normally has to be 21 or older. Some policies are over 25. There may be other restrictions regarding convictions. Again go and check

3. The cover is only for vehicles not owned by you or with you as the registered keeper. Obvious - but you cannot buy one policy and drive all your cars on it.

4. The car you are driving does not have to have an insurance policy in place on the vehicle but it is ony covered if you are actually driving it. If you park it while it is uninsured in the street then it can be lifted for having no valid policy in place.

5. The cover is Third Party Only - it does not include Fire and Theft. Your insurer will only settle damage and injury to others if you are involved in a fault accident, not to the vehicle you are driving.

6. If you permit a person to drive your car and they do not have Drive Other Cars cover you are both at risk of 6-8 points - the other driver for not having insurance and you for permitting them to drive with no insurance.

On 5. and 6. we had one person who permitted a driver to test drive his car which was totalled and found himself charged on permit, no insurance.

The court accepted a Special Reasons Argument because he had been assured that the other person had Drive Other Cars benefits so he did not get penalty point but he was left in a position where he had to sue the would-be purchaser personally for the loss of his vehicle and his personal injury.

To try and do a definitive answer

To drive other cars (DOC) on a third party only basis:

1. There must be a clause in your policy which permits you to do so. Many policies don't have this benefit any more. Go and check.

Assuming you have the benefit:

2. It only covers the policyholder - not any named drivers. The policy holder normally has to be 21 or older. Some policies are over 25. There may be other restrictions regarding convictions. Again go and check

3. The cover is only for vehicles not owned by you or with you as the registered keeper. Obvious - but you cannot buy one policy and drive all your cars on it.

4. The car you are driving does not have to have an insurance policy in place on the vehicle but it is ony covered if you are actually driving it. If you park it while it is uninsured in the street then it can be lifted for having no valid policy in place.

5. The cover is Third Party Only - it does not include Fire and Theft. Your insurer will only settle damage and injury to others if you are involved in a fault accident, not to the vehicle you are driving.

6. If you permit a person to drive your car and they do not have Drive Other Cars cover you are both at risk of 6-8 points - the other driver for not having insurance and you for permitting them to drive with no insurance.

On 5. and 6. we had one person who permitted a driver to test drive his car which was totalled and found himself charged on permit, no insurance.

The court accepted a Special Reasons Argument because he had been assured that the other person had Drive Other Cars benefits so he did not get penalty point but he was left in a position where he had to sue the would-be purchaser personally for the loss of his vehicle and his personal injury.

Lucy - excellent response, detailed and 100% correct. Thanks for taking the time write it up. Mods - as this question often comes up, how about putting it in a sticky?
If the vehicle is uninsured then you are only covered while you are driving it so if it is parked the police can lift it as an uninsured vehicle.

The vehicle cannot be registered to or owned by you.

You also need to check your policy that DoC is offered as an increasing number of insurers are removing the benefit at renewal.
Insurance - So can I drive another car? - Chris M

fredthefifth,

Have you thought of getting yourself added to the kids insurance. Would take away the risk AND may actually reduce their premiums.

So aftyer all that to find out for sure you have to contact your own insurance.

Many thanks to you all for the replies and LucyBC especially. Situation is now well understood.

Chris M - yes considering that.

Thanks again to everyone.

FTF

So aftyer all that to find out for sure you have to contact your own insurance.

No you read your policy. If you contact your insurance company you are likely to get a calls handler who may or may not give you the right answer. It's no solid defence to rely on something you have been told by an employee of your insurer on the phone if your policy says otherwise - whether or not "calls may be recorded" the chances are they have lost the one you are interested in.

Not if you record yours like I do. The problem being most people do not understand their policy when they have read it.