Mazda 6 Annoying Tensioner Noise..done everything! - wizz88

Hi, my mazda 6 diesel 2005 plate, has been making a noise near the fan belt area, i have seen my self the tensioner shaking badly well anyway.....way back in the winter the belt on the tensioner was just squeaking but after buying a new tensioner which i found out was for the wrong car (i didnt install it) but putting the old tensioner with a new drive belt then i switched the car back on and it started to make a horrible noise which was unbearable i got angry and hit the tensioner whilst the car was running and the noise became BEARABLE!!!.....

FAST FORWARD 4 MONTHS.....i then saw another tensioner on ebay which was definitly for this car so i ordered and put it on and hey presto the noise goes away for about 10 days when all of a sudden the noisy tensioner noise is back and this time when i hit the tensioner the noise doesnt go away like last time (damn)

So Now i brought a brand spanking new tensioner from Mazda for £288.77 and brought a brand new gates belt for £20 and today after installing it the car is still making a nasty noise...i feel like i have tried everything and the noise is unbearable have i done something wrong installing the tensioner? or is the belt the wrong size, its an autotensioner so i dont have to tighten the belt initially do i just put it around the roller of the tensioner?

....and finally i was reading some how to guides they all say take battery cable off i havent been doing that could that have something to do with it? i need your help and would appreciate your advise thanks

Edited by Avant on 01/10/2010 at 01:07

sorry just to recap....* tensioner replaced 3 times

* 2 fan belts changed both were same ones and were accurate according to the manual

Mazda 6 Annoying Tensioner Noise..done everything! - Avant

Moved to Technical, where I hope you'll get some help.

Mazda 6 Annoying Tensioner Noise..done everything! - dieselnut

Suspect this engine will have a dual mass crankshaft pulley.

These consist of a metal inner & outer separated by a bonded rubber section which sometimes starts to break up & makes the pulley go oval.

The partly oval pulley sends the tensioner into a frenzy trying to keep propper tension in the belt.

Look closely at the crankshaft pulley, it will probably need replacing.

Mazda 6 Annoying Tensioner Noise..done everything! - Collos25

Look at the time scale running a car with such a fault for four months the mind boggles.

Look at the time scale running a car with such a fault for four months the mind boggles.

basically the problem sorted out itself for a few months but the tensioner was making a slight noise which was bearable but still it was not normal, but then i decided to get it changed and the problems began again but with an extra loud noise.

Suspect this engine will have a dual mass crankshaft pulley.

These consist of a metal inner & outer separated by a bonded rubber section which sometimes starts to break up & makes the pulley go oval.

The partly oval pulley sends the tensioner into a frenzy trying to keep propper tension in the belt.

Look closely at the crankshaft pulley, it will probably need replacing.

Thanks for your advice im going to get my friend to look into that for me. meanwhile though i changed the fan belt to a bigger size and still no joy