Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - alexblue

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with this from a legal standpoint.

We bought a new Nissan Qashqai on the 1st September. I was driving the car on Monday at around 50mph along an A road when I noticed the power was failing. I looked at the dashboard and the petrol gauge had gone to zero (the tank was over half full), the monitor then went black. I tried to indicate to pull over, but the indicators wouldn't work. I tried to open the windows to manually signal that something was wrong, but these wouldn't work either. Luckily I managed to brake and pull over without a major accident. Needless to say if I was on a motorway, it would have been another story. I had my baby in the car and was quite shaken up by what happened. All through this time the radio was still working.

We took the car to the dealership where we bought it from. They ran diagnostic tests and while they admitted there was an anomaly, they couldn't find a fault. They then rang and said that I had probably knocked the car key with my knee thereby causing the power to fail.

I am not happy with this explanation and was wondering from a legal and technical standpoint what people think and where I stand. Surely if I had knocked the key, the power shouldn't just cut out like that? It is an incredibly serious design fault if it does, is it not?

Please help. The garage is being very difficult about all of this

Many thanks,

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - ablandy

From what you have said, it sounds like they are suggesting when you "knocked the key" you knocked it sufficiently to turn off the ignition. From what you have said it sounds possible, though unlikely. Cant say I have ever heard of anyone doing this, but it depends on where the key is. There are other possible causes obviously but from the garages point of view following their examination this is the most likely.

They have probably tried to repeat the problem and cant. If they cant repeat a problem, its very difficult to suggest a fix. You said they found an anomaly - what was this?

At this stage, take them at their word and see what happens. Keep detailed notes of conversations, dates etc. You currently have no basis on which to reject the car.

I know its difficult and its easy to lose faith in a car when it breaks down, but you are going to have to persist with it im afraid.

Hi - I forgot to say that the garage said there were records of this happening to several other people. They tested the theory with the car and knocked the key whilst moving and the same thing happened. Do they have to rectify this?

My issue is that it has never happened with other cars I have driven/owned - including a VW and Peugeot - is this not a design fault for it to be 'knocked' so easily? I am 5'4 so hardly huge and I have no recollection of knocking the key, so therefore if I did do it, then it would have been a light tap for me not to remember it. In which case, I am very worried about it happening again.

thanks for your help

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - ablandy

Hmm, unusual. I wouldnt expect knocking the key to turn the ignition off. Is a normal key or does it have one of those where you insert the keyfob in the dash?

Obviously any normal key could potentially turn the car off if knocked a particular way with sufficient force, so it makes it difficult for use to state whether what they have stated is a problem is normal or not. It is equally possible that there is a loose connection with the keylock which when knocked is causing this. But presumably the dealer checked this.

Going forward, now you know why this has allegedly happened, you know how to avoid it. If you dont knock the key, the car should be fine. If it isnt, go back to them. You could always speak to Nissan themselves if you wanted and see what they say.

I imagine the seating position in the qashqai is different to your other cars as its a crossover, so a bit more upright?

Sounds like your dealer has done all they can to be honest.

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - LucyBC

Try to replicate it by turning the key off at low speed in a quiet road with no traffic around and see if that is the problem. If not tell the garage that it must be something else and ask them to re-examine it.

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - Dwight Van Driver

I am not a mechanic but a Cow owner which I call Moo and the symptons described are indicative of the ignition key being turned off.

Was the car trailered to the Garage or on stoppping activating the igbition it started and ran OK.?

Is it still off the road under investigation or back in daily use with no problems.?

Until such time as the 'fault 'is identified then does not appear to be anything you can do.?

dvd

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - Vitesse6

Have you tried sitting in the car with the engine running and tried to turn the ignition key by hitting it with your knee or other appropriate part of your anatomy?

If you can't do it by design it would seem unlikely that you couldn't do it bay accident whilst driving.

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - Falkirk Bairn

My eldest son has similar failure on a 2 yr old BMW 3 series (in 2001). Motorway driving @ 70 mph, suddenly engine cuts out, car lights up panel like a " Xmas tree" and by luck he coasts to hard shoulder.

Towed off, car to BMW under warranty, "nothing found by diags"

2 x "same again in 3 weeks" - BMW franchise shrug shoulders, nothing found. AA man was adament it was exhaust gas sensors. BMW replace "under good will" exhaust sensors..........................

Son's faith in car was now nil and he traded for a reliable car from Japan within 1 month of the above.

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - Peter D

How many keys do you have on the key ring. Did the car restart straight away after you stopped. Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

I had one other key on the key ring and the car restarted straight away after I'd stopped.

The car is currently with the dealer and I'm speaking to Nissan about it all... My feeling is that it surely must be a design fault if a car loses power if the key is knocked whilst driving (which is what they are saying)?

I know the car will lose power if you deliberately turn the key, but I didn't do that and neither do I remember knocking the key with my knee. Therefore if I did it it must have been a light tap at the very most meaning the key is very sensitive. I am 5'4 and my knee is nowhere near the key when I am driving. I have driven for 17 years and never had any problem with any of my other cars so it's not as if I have weirdly jerky knees!

I am very worried about this happening again. We've only had the car for 3 weeks, so it is very likely it could happen again. I want them to change the key fob or replace the car - do I have any rights with this?

thanks

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - Avant

Alex - it's either a poor piece of design where it's too easy to knock the key, or a loose connection which allows the igntion to turn itself off, say if you go over a bump in the road.

You need to allow the dealer to investigate and fix any fault found: remember your contract is with the dealer, so don't expect much from Nissan UK themselves.

Hi again -

Just thought I'd give an update and ask any further advice. I went to the dealer and found out that it was physically impossible for my knee to have touched the key and turned it - (the technical supervisor saw and acknowledged this). They still can't find a cause for the power failure, but have admitted that during diagnostic tests they have found evidence that the power failure occurred.

So, at the moment, there is a fault but they haven't found a reason behind it and are therefore unable to fix it. Under the Sale of Goods act, can I demand a like-for-like replacement? The car is brand new and bought on the 1st September 2010

thanks for your help

Alex as I explained to you privately you cannot reject a vehicle for what is likely to be a minor electrical fault - you have to give the dealer the opportunity to fix it.
Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - nortones2

I once had a Ford which lost all power and lights. Caused by a fuse failure in-line with the battery. A minor part, a minor fault, but the consequences could have been serious if I had not been able to make the hard shoulder. With the Ford the cause was known and apparently not a rare occurence. Here, the dealer seems baffled, and has not been able to fix it. How long do they get to identify the cause?

If it could not be repeated except for cutting the ignition then they should really keep it in until they have rectified it - supplying a courtesy car while they do so.

Full rejection of a new vehicle is normally for very serious faults and is almost unheard of. As a rule of thumb they should get three goes at it but these cases often go on. In this case the failure seems to have been a one-off event so far.

Alex's concerns that it may happen again but if it came to court I don't think it would support her application. Her better option may be to negotiate with the dealer and see what they will agree to.
Nissan Qashqai - Nissan Qashqai power failure when driving - ms_in_xj

Yesterday happened something very similar to my Qashqai. Car is less than 6 months old and it is not the first time. First time I was lucky as the car was stationary, waiting for traffic lights to change. I couldn't start it again for about 30 seconds. Dashboard and satnav was totally black, no single light.

Yesterday was more scarry I was driving home on A road, speed about 60 mph, road in middle of fields and forests, no street lamps. Started with weird beep noise for few seconds to then switch satnav off and all lights on dashboard, but what was the worsts the head lamps lost power also, so I was trying to stop the car in pitch black. What was weird the engine was still running. After about 5-10 seconds all went back on. Thank god I knew the road and there were no other people/cars around.

Car been constanly causing problems, from gear selector, wipers to engine and road handling. I am really put off from buying brand new car for now, not to mention from Nissan. But saying that I bet it could happen with any cars, some are well made and some are not. Pity I overpaid for assumed realiability.