Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - harrogate big vern
I'm looking at an ex demo car at a Ford dealership. Just a few aspects that I'm a little surprised about from a dealership.

Firstly a £70 admin fee. I'm not wanting finance, the car has been theirs since new, so why are they adamant there has to be a fee? What's it for?

The car will not come with any road tax. It's being used at the moment, so why no tax? Don't most cars like this come with at least some tax?

Also, they've not tried any of the old "have to decide today to get this price". In fact they won't negotiate on price at all. However the price is a good one. They are saying though that the car would have to be picked up by the end of the month. Couldn't really get a reason why. I'm assuming sales targets, but why would that affect an ex demo car? It's not like they won't sell it if it goes past the month end is it?

Am i just out of the loop or are these quite odd conditions?
Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Ben 10

Seeing as there is a facelifted Mondeo coming out, I'm surprised they are not falling over themselves to give it away, to make room.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Collos25

Is it owned by Ryanair. admin fee what next tell them to p$ss off.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 23/09/2010 at 20:45

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - daveyjp

Admin fee - no way.

Tax and sale target date may tie in - it might run out at the end of this month. Sales staff get targets for second hand too and if it's a Ford Direct there will be a date it has to be sold to realise a profit.

Look for another in case you have to walk - there's thousands of them out there

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - madf

As a minimum negotiating position I would say no admin fee, 12 months MOT, free car mats, full service and free six months tax.. and walk away if they refuse.

But then, I did run a purchasing departemnet for a while...

Mondeos are white goods and price is all.

Edited by madf on 23/09/2010 at 21:15

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Falkirk Bairn

Saw a car on Motorpoint site advertised @ £19,999.

I was interested an asked a few questions on line.

Reply call in 10 mins, answered questions well THEN

£19,999 became £20,750 How?

RFL £155

Admin Fee IIRC £80

3 years Warranty £400

Preparation..... I forget the rest

I said @ £19,999 he could well have a sale but I would expect a 10 mile car to come with no extra charges, well may be RFL.

I won't give up as I may call @ their Glasgow outlet. 3 years ago I got £500 off screen price, £50 for mats, £50 for a tank of Diesel., no Prep charge as the car was clean enough and I got it Valeted @ home for £50...................looks like sitting in front of the Assistant manager was the right route.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - bathtub tom

I bought a Ford, sounding a bit like this.

Not a diesel is it?

A few thousand miles down the road the fuel pump failed. £1300 please.

It was reckoned it had been mis-fuelled at some time.

If it seems too good to be true.....................

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - ForumNeedsModerating

Perhaps you're focusing too much on their pricing structure - don't get hung-up on how they compose their price - just ask yourself: is this a good cost to change or not when compared with (any) alternative deals.

By co-incidence, I've bought same model recently - admin fee & no RFL deal etc.

My calculation was done on cost to change - which was good (with price of P-Ex car subtracted etc.) - in fact the whole deal went off very smoothly - the only pain really, was the drive to get there from my locale.

Just a comment on two points made:

- the poster who mention '£400 warranty cost ' on a car supermarket - surprising, since I'd have thought the car (@ £19,999) would have had the standard manufacturer warranty residue - which must have been at least 2.5 years....

- the poster who cautions against buying a 'misfuelled' car : maybe so years ago, but new (or nearly new) Fords will have their clever anti-misfuelling filler cap - so I wouldn't

worry unduly about that.

Edited by woodbines on 24/09/2010 at 09:05

They don't seem to be offering it as a Ford Direct vehicle, which puts me off as well!

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - ForumNeedsModerating

"They don't seem to be offering it as a Ford Direct vehicle, which puts me off as well!"

What has that got to do with it? If it's ex-demo it'll have a good residue of manufacturer warranty (at least 2 years I'd guess) - which is as good as the Ford direct 2-year warranty.

In a way, being ex-demo is probably better - at least you know it's ex-demo provenance - Ford Direct could be ex hire, road test, lease etc etc- or maybe even ex-ford employee.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - rjr

As far as I am aware Ford Direct cars are ex-Hertz hire cars so an ex-demo car would not be part of this scheme.

Regarding the admin charge, no tax, no discount etc:

This method of pricing started in the car supermarkets and is now becoming more common at franchised dealerships. Cars are priced and advertised at lower than normal prices but there is no negotiation on the price and an admin fee is charged on top. Other items such as RFL, warranty (other than the satuatory minimum) and paint protection are also charged on top.

I would echo woodbines comment that the price to change is the important figure.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - websharon

Why not go to fordonline website they also have a 24 hour line sales line and see if you could pick up your either a new mondeo or nearly new we were quoted 19,800 for a new 163 diesel monedo titanium - delivery was 3 weeks and this included 6 months road tax and three years warranty. This site is run by FORD. Currently in the ix35 waiting delivery game. Hope this helps.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - websharon

Why not go to fordonline website they also have a 24 hour line sales line and see if you could pick up your either a new mondeo or nearly new we were quoted 19,800 for a new 163 diesel monedo titanium - delivery was 3 weeks and this included 6 months road tax and three years warranty. This site is run by FORD. Currently in the ix35 waiting delivery game. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention that fordonline also do trade in.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Ben 10

Some of these ex Hertz cars are sold at auction. Why don't you go for that and save a few hundred. They would be the same cars as those put out by Ford Direct and they would still have the warranty. But for much less £££.

Interesting comments guys, thanks. Are we saying that all ford direct cars are ex Hertz ones? One point with the Ford Direct thing is they have two years RAC. Worth at least a couple of hundred quid.

Can anyone explain why they may be saying it has to be picked up by the end of the month.
Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Glenn 42

Good old Ford dealers, the usual aggressive sales techniques and hopeless customer care, which seems to do their cars a big disservice. This is the main reason I would never buy from a Ford dealer.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - daveyK_UK

Motorpoint always back down on the admin fee if you walk away, the salesman admitted its an 'extra' which he gets a decent cut off and can always be wiped off.

Ford Mondeo - dealer sales conditions. are they normal - Roly93

As far as I am aware Ford Direct cars are ex-Hertz hire cars so an ex-demo car would not be part of this scheme.

I just bought a Ford Direct Focus for my wife, and I always knew it would be an ex hire car, in this case EuropCar according to some scribles on the document pack. What surprised me was the difference in attitude between whether you bought one of their own second hand cars, or picked one from the Ford Direct portal.

What I mean is that in order to get a minor fault remedied it was a lot more hassle as I was bounced back and fore betweek FD and the dealer. As far as I can see this was the only drawback with FD.

I am also ashamed to say that I did not question the admin fee when I normally would, nevertheless I am still pleased with the deal.