Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - almera-inthesky

Hello all. I'm looking to replace my almera (the rust finally got it). I'm very tall, and find the focus c-max very comfortable in terms of driving position. It's likely that I'll go for one -- the boot space is handy -- budget up to 4500 for the right vehicle.

Your buying advice is very welcome. I've only done about 6000 mile/year over the last 3 years, so am unlikely to get a diesel unless persuaded otherwise. But I'd be interested to hear diesel feedback.

What is your experience of the petrol -- particularly of fuel economy on the 1.6 and 1.8?

And any thoughts on the trim level?

Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - Chris M

I've owned a 2004 1.8 petrol Zetec for 3 years. I went for Zetec because you get the sliding rear seats - my sons are tall.

Economy - about 35 - 37 with a mixture of town and motorway. My wife can get nearer 40 as she's a bit slower! Diesels are supposed to be good to drive, but the earlier ones had their problems and I wouldn't go for one with your low mileage.

Good points: Fairly comfortable high seating (I'm 6'2"), fairly quiet, fairly good ride although high up seating means you sit on rather than in the seats, good reliability (in my experience). Apart from service items, the only thing I can recall having to replace is the boot switch (common problem - water gets in)

Not so good points: squeaks from the facia (the squeaks come from different areas depending on temperature and disappear completely a lot of the time). Cheapo plastic inside (could be called practical I suppose). Front tyres only last 15k - 20k. No Haynes manual yet.

Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - BorisTheSpider

If you haven't already have a look at;
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/c-max-2003/

This body type probably has the offset pedals of the normal focus, so see if you can get an extended test drive, however you’re not exactly doing a lot of miles so even if it has it, it may not be a problem.

Regards

Boris

Pedals are not offset.

Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - Avant

Last time I test-drove a C-Max - about 3 years ago I think - there was nowhere to rest my left foot when off the clutch. If you drive long distances that's a more important point than it sounds.

Ford may have improved this since then.

You are quite right Avant. But I don't find it a problem as the CMax has upright seating; my clutch foot sits on the floor in a similar position as if I were sitting on a dining room chair at home. As I said earlier, you sit on the seats rather than in them. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - Ravenger

I've owned my 06 C-Max 1.8TDCi from new.

If I could afford another new car I'd buy one without hesitation, because I love the driving position, the amount of room in the car and the flexible rear seating.

Driving long distances with no specific clutch foot rest isn't a problem with the upright seating.

The only major problem I had was with an intermittent electrical problem which happened just out of warranty, and took the dealer a couple of attempts to fix. Ford did give a bit of compensation but not enough really.

I do get the odd squeak from the dashboard now and then.

Economy has been reasonably good, getting up to 65mpg on long motorway trips if I keep below 60mph. Not so good around town, but I live in a hilly area.

My wife really likes the car. She has a bad back, and the C-Max is really easy to into and out of. The upright seating is good for her back too. The kids like it because they have loads of leg-room, airport style seat-trays, and large windows to look out of. It's a very stable ride so they don't get car sick either.

thanks for all this advice -- and any more is welcome.

The clutch footrest issue occurred to me as well. My now departed almera had one, and it was useful on long motorway drives. But I've sat in old and new C-max just to test out the driving position, and I'm fine with it -- there's no footrest, but there's plenty of room to comfortably rest my foot to the left ot the clutch.

anyone have any feedback on the 1.6 petrol performance and economy?

Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - john96
Given that the focus 1.6 has relatively poor mpg I would imagine the c-max to be slightly lower again due to its shape.
thanks for this advice. I've been looking at some options on autoquake ... but they point blank refuse to even let me see the MOT certificate number ... the one thing I could see by going to any dealer!
Ford Focus c-max - focus c-max buying advice - yeoman

I've been running a C-Max 1.6 Zetec petrol with the more powerful Ti-VCT 115 engine for about 4 years/50,000 miles. The petrol C-Max's are extremely reliable and cheap to maintain. I get 37+ mpg per the trip computer on running around, low forties on a run. Exactly the same MPG as the 1.6 Scenic I ran before, but the C-Max handling is in a different league and it's a much sweeter engine too. Tyres last about 24k per set, the rears are about 90% worn when the fronts are shot so I just replace all 4 anyway. Like others, I experience odd rattles come and go, but generally the build is good and the new C-Max will certainly be on my shortlist when it comes up for replacement. I'm usually driving 2 up, when I've never been short of performance. Fully loaded including roof box it's still adequate, you just need to drive it harder with a few more revs.