Nissan Almera- small sump why? - Glenn 42

I have just had an oil and filter change on a Nissan Almera and the sump only holds 2.7 litres( this being the QG engine found on petrol models). Most cars tend to hold 4-5 litres, so I wonder why Nissan have gone for such a small sump as it does appear the car is using more oil, the mechanic at my family garage saying the level was down to midway( although there is no engine wear), until we checked and found the engine had an unusually small oil sump.

Nissan Almera- small sump why? - John F

Probably so it's more likely run out of oil causing huge expense for unwary owner and more profit for the motor trade.

A few years ago I checked the oil level of a small nearly-new Citroen with a mere 4,000 miles on the clock [the young owner was about to take one of my children on a long journey] and it didn't even reach the end of the dip-stick! No problem for a while if big capacity sump, but recipe for disaster if small reserve.

Probably so it's more likely run out of oil causing huge expense for unwary owner and more profit for the motor trade.

A few years ago I checked the oil level of a small nearly-new Citroen with a mere 4,000 miles on the clock [the young owner was about to take one of my children on a long journey] and it didn't even reach the end of the dip-stick! No problem for a while if big capacity sump, but recipe for disaster if small reserve.

It's strange as the diesel model has a 5 litre sump but the petrol makes do with a 2.7. However, it must be using oil at a rate of a litre every 5000 miles, which is nothing really to worry about, but I will check more often as such a sump is too small. However, unless as you say, it's some scam to make more money, in which case Nissan shoud go for a standard 5 litre sump.

Nissan Almera- small sump why? - bathtub tom

Why make it any bigger?

I check mine regularly and once I've had a vehicle for a little while I get used to its consumption, although I do look under where it's parked. It's my experience most oil leaks out.

Mine uses none between services (5K miles).

I heard a story about a major manufacturer (Toyota?) that stopped filling sumps to the max on new cars. They saved a fortune on engine oil.

The recommendation is the oil should be between the min and max. That's where mine is and it doesn't get any unless it gets near the min on any of my vehicles.

Nissan Almera- small sump why? - Roly93

Why make it any bigger?

Several reasons realy, 1) So you have more oil to even out the pounding that the oil gets being pumped around the bearings etc, so in effect the oil get worn out less quickly 2) More margin of error for engines which burn a bit of oil or do not get checked very regularly 3) More oil means oil more likely remains slightly cooler. 4) I'd rather have more oil than less in my engine.

I think 5 litres should have been standard across the range. 2.7 means topping up can be required between services, which shouldn't be necessary if the car is well maintained, and also you can be given the impression the car is using too much oil.

Also the small sump has been linked to timing chain failure on Almeras due to a low oil level.

Nissan Almera- small sump why? - perro

Surely a low oil level is a low oil level, whether the sump holds 5 ltrs or 2.7 ltrs,

My 05 1.8 Almera doesn't use any oil between services and a 2.7 ltr sump just goes to show what a well designed and engineered engine it is IMO.

Nissan Almera- small sump why? - SteveLee
A smaller sump capacity means faster warm up resulting in lower emissions and less engine wear. The diesel will have a more generous capacity for two reasons, firstly the engine oil of a diesel car gets contaminated with soot pretty quickly, plus the diesel will likely be turbo-charged dumping more heat into the oil requiring a reserve as a heat soak.

Sounds like a pain in terms of topping up but one should check their oil regularly anyway!