Honda FRV or Vauxhall Zafira - Best value used - pugswhdi

I've got £5-6000 to spend on a car and need 6 seats. I've looked at a number of options and have narrowed my choice to a honda frv or a vauxhall zafira. It appears that my budget could buy a low spec 2007 zafira 1.6 petrol with <30k miles or a 2004 frv 1.7 (maybe 2.0) petrol with >70k miles.

The zafira's have fewer miles, are cheaper to insure, probably cheaper to service will use less petrol and are in plentiful supply. The FRV is a far smarter car and for 6 people gives the best boot space. However, they are quite rare and hard to find at my budget.

What's the prediction on what the cars will be worth is 3 or 4 years time. Would the extra depreciation of the zafira equal the higher running costs of the frv - in which case i'll take the frv or is the zafira the most common sight on the road for a reason? That being the are great family cars.

Just to head off what some might be thinking - I don't want a multipla!

Cheers,

Ben

Honda FRV or Vauxhall Zafira - Best value used - cavey76
In an almost identical situation to yourself. Due to impending arrival of child number 4 (will have 4 under five come early November) i need at least a 6 seater. The only slight variation i have is that the Mazda 5 is in the mix for me too.

I have an illogical aversion to Vauxhall and the fact the middle bench of the Zafira isn't quite as flexible or as clever as other 6/7 options means i am erring away from it but like you have already noticed there is a plentiful supply of them so it is hard to say no to such an omnipresent bargain.

In four years time you will be talking about a possibly 10 year old FRV versus a 7 year old Zafira but using a Honda CRV as a comparison as the FRV doesn't go back that long prices are similar for a 10 y.o CRV to a 7 y.o Zafira. So i would say depreciation would be so similar as to almost be negligible.

Also at the age of the Honda you are considering surely you wouldn't be indulging in main s******ship servicing again this should mitigate the costs. This to me all points toward the FRV.

Now your only issue is rarity. Keep a close eye on cargiant as we are. There was a 2005 2.0 SE (65K) on there up until a few weeks back unfortunately i wasn't in the financial position to make a move then. Also being based in Belfast makes the logistic a bit more complex.

I know you probably already have the mind set but have a look at the Mazda 5 aswell as it might just hit the spot and you would get into a 05-06 1.8 TS2 for the sort of money you are talking about.

Regards

william
Honda FRV or Vauxhall Zafira - Best value used - pugswhdi

Thanks William,

I'm in Belfast too! - what are the chances of that. Let's make sure that we are not chasing the same local FRV if one comes up!

I have considered the Mazda 5 but for me it doesn't look any more visually appealing than the zafira and i'm not convinced with the money i have it's worth buying a car that is 2 years older just to avoid the zafira.

Don't overlook that with 3 (or 4?) child seats getting into the 3rd row of seats will be difficult and that a small child won't be able to see forwards or out of the side window seated in the 3rd row of a zafira.

All the best with the hunt.

Ben

Small world eh? Well being Belfast based your also understand the frustration of cars here being about 1000-2000 quid pricier than the similar aged/specc'd models over in Scotland or England.

I suppose Cargiant isn't the most representative of the rest of the UK but i can't help feeling i am being done over when i see the difference between what they have and what the likes of Hurst, Sere, Agnews etc charge for 3-4 year old cars.

The other thing about here is that everyman and his dog seems to 'need' a diesel...even if they do ridiclously low miles. My SIL has a diesel Zafira despite doing around 7000 miles a year because they are more economical of course??!?!?? Which means there is a drought of small petrol MPVs at our preferred age and price range.

We do less than 8000 a year so i am fine with a petrol. Have spotted a few petrol Tourans but i am seriously considering getting rid of my current 3 door golf in a private sale, gathering the funds together and making a trip to either Scotland or England should a bargain present itself.

Also if brave keep an eye on Wilsons auctions in Mallusk...anecdotal i know but i have several friends who have bought, Mondeos, C-Maxes, Grand Scenics and even Alfas from there pain free. if you look up their online catalogue for the sales to come you can phone them and ask for ball park figures of what they expect cars to go for. In all the times i have been with friends their suggested price has been within a couple of hundred quid of what hammer came down at.

All the best in your FRV hunt

William

Ben, Quick update, we changed plans slightly chopped in our more valuable car and got hold of a 2006 Honda FRV 2.2CDTi.

I did notice a 2.0 petrol one going through Wilsons in Portadown in the last week if you contact them it may still be there.

Very pleased with the FRV...boys love being up front with me and the girls(mum and daughter) can relax in the back and talk nail polish and ballet. Also the boot is an excellent size for a medium people carrier. Has a real sense of solidity and i'd have no qualms about driving a year or so older FRV over a newer Zafira.

Regards

cavey

Honda FRV or Vauxhall Zafira - Best value used - Falkirk Bairn
In an almost identical situation to yourself. Due to impending arrival of child number 4 (will have 4 under five come early November) i need at least a 6 seater.

Takes me back a few years - we had 3 children and the oldest was under 4 - we found out what was causing the problem and "a man with 2 bricks" solved the problem. Actually it was a surgeon but just as painful I can assure you!
Takes me back a few years - we had 3 children and the oldest was under 4 - we found out what was causing the problem and "a man with 2 bricks" solved the problem. Actually it was a surgeon but just as painful I can assure you!

already booked with a week off work to let the grapefruits reduce in size afterwards!