Mazda 6 Turbo Diesel - Mazda 6 Turbo - RobJ

I have a Mazda 6 Turbo on a 54 plate with 79K on the clock. I've only had the car approx 7 weeks and have had to return to the garage i bought it from (thankfully under warranty) The problems started with a very high pitched "whirring" sound, almost like a siren which i now understand was the faulty turbo. The car actually broke down on my way back to the garage, it had a complete loss of power and was billowing out clouds of white smoke. Although the engine didn't actually cut out i pulled over and waited for a tow truck.

My concern now is that the garage will just "patch" up the problems and only do the minimum work leaving me with more problems in the future. They have told me it was caused by a faulty Turbo and they have sent the turbo away to be fixed. Is this correct ? Should it be fixed or should a new turbo be fitted ? Are there any other common problems caused by this happening that i should insist the garage check before i get the car back ? I have requested a full written report on the problems and all the work done on the car so that i can have an independant mechanic check the work . Any advice would be great.

Mazda 6 Turbo Diesel - Mazda 6 Turbo - craig-pd130

It sounds like the turbo oil seals failed, either as a result of damage to the turbo vanes or bearings, or the seals failed resulting in damaged bearings.

Hence the white smoke -- oil was leaking into the red-hot turbo's exhaust chamber and burning, possibly combined with oil going into the inlet side and being burnt in the engine. The siren noise is also characteristic of dying turbo bearings.

Reconditioning turbos is quite common and a properly recon'd unit will be as good as new. Ask the garage to tell you who is reconditioning it, and look them up on the web.

If the seals failed (and they can do this just through wear & tear) then there shouldn't be any damage to other engine components. I would insist on an oil / filter change, although they are likely to do this anyway, as the turbo has a direct oil feed.

You also did the right thing by stopping the car and waiting for a tow.

Mazda 6 Turbo Diesel - Mazda 6 Turbo - dieselnut

Turbo vanes may have contacted the housing putting metal fragments into the air ducting & intercooler. These will need a thorough clean or these fragments may find their way into the engine.

Does this have a DPF, if so the oil strainer may be partially blocked & caused lack of oil to the turbo causing the initial problem.