Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 engine shut down, reset? - akgray

We have had this car for 12 years and it has been faultless. We gave it to my sister in law last night and this morning it has stopped working (unbelievable!)

It started fine and she drove it 10 miles to work. When she left 2 hours later to make some calls it would not turn over. Called the recovery bods who got it started but the engine fault light has come on and he thinks the car has gone into shut down mode.

She drove it here, I got it in the garage, knocked it off and its done the same thing. The inside lights look dim, I have tried putting the charger on the battery and it seems full, it has a standing voltage of nearly 13v.

I have found an auto electrician who can have a look at it but I need to get it started again.

Any help on getting it going or what if could be would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 engine shut down, reset? - Peter D

How old is the battery. Check battery connection, main pwer connections to alternator, and starter motor and the clenliness ans security of the earth straps. What colour are your headlight if you leave them on for 10 minutes. Regards Peter

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 engine shut down, reset? - Peter.N.

Likewise, you beat me to it.

Hi Chaps, thanks for the reply. The lights dont even come on. The battery is a couple of years old but I did the cam belt at the weekend and am thinking I may have disturbed the alternator cables. The earths look good but I haven't had a good check yet.

Taking the battery off tonight and putting on charge.

Battery is off but wont charge (the meter on the charger stays below 0 whereas on a normal; flat battery it goes up to 4 and drops slowly as it charges.

Standing voltage is 12.3V. If I connect a test lamp across it, it goes down to 8-9V, does that help? I think a new battery would be a good place to start and checking the alternator wires.

The recovery bloke thought it had gone into engine shut down mode, I don't think the 106 has one of those!

Edited by akgray on 23/08/2010 at 23:29

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 engine shut down, reset? - madf

No shut down mode. Your garage are a bunch of incompetents as the 106 is as common as muck and as simple to work on.

Your battery is dead like a well known parrot.

Yes, came to that conclusion myself. It wasn't a garage, just an incompetent recovery numpty. All sorted now. Thanks for the help.