VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - SteveLee

I like the idea of these small capacity low pressure petrol turbos, given the capacity why have VW gone for four cylinders? Forgetting internal friction, the power pulses from a 3 pot are much more suited to turbo charging applications, improving spool up and turbo efficiency. I guess camshaft grinding is much cheaper as it only needs to be done on two planes! Come on chaps give us the engine we want, high CR three pot with low pressure turbo - that would be a peach and one step closer to chucking complicated nasty sooty diesels on the sc-r-a-pheap.

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - WellKnownSid

Looking at the reviews it looks like VW have had problems with several of its engines, including 1.4s failing at 7,000 miles due to bore ovalisation!

Most of the manufacturers seem to be producing the "next big thing" in engines, either ultra-high-torque-but-cleaner diesels - or tiny petrols like the 1.2TSI.

I'm sure that lots of hand-built versions have been tested to destruction, but one wonders how the mass produced units will cope with real life over the next 5-10 years, with some irregular servicing thrown in for good measure!

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - Avant

You'll probably be proved right, Sid. Am I alone in still thinking that there's something in the saying of old-fashioned engineers - 'There's no substitute for cubic inches' (possibly an American coinage given that Europe went over to cubic centimetres long ago)?

I had over 100,000 trouble-free miles from each of three big Renaults in the 80s and 90s (two 2.0 litre fours and a 3.0 V6, all petrol). And it isn't often the failure of the diesel engine itself that makes modern diesels liable to major failure as they get older - it's all those benighted three-letter acronyms.

These small, highly-tuned engines are efficient in terms of performance and economy, that's for sure. But as for longevity, it's too early to say.

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - Sofa Spud

QUIOTE:..."""'ll try to keep this simple, but in general, a 3 cyl engine is a very poor idea. """

And yet I read recently that BMW are developing a 3-cylinder petrol and diesel engines for the next generation 3 Series, while Mercedes are doing the same for the next C Class. I think I read that Ford are doing a 3-cylinder for the next Focus too.

These cars I mention are not even models at the bottom of the respective makers' ranges, so there must be something going for 3 pots.

Meanwhile, for those who think that 3 cylinders are too many, Fiat have brought out a 2-cylinder 'Multi-air' petrol engine for the 500. VW too have a 0.8 TDI 2-cylinder diesel engine design which has been used in a few prototypes, including versions of the Up!, I think.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/08/2010 at 23:08

While I agree the primary balance isn't perfect with a triple - secondary balance is, it's the latter (usually high frequency) vibration that causes fatigue and component failure. Progress in metallurgy plus modern design and construction techniques means the primary imbalance of a triple is pretty inconsequential - the average diesel vibrates a heck of a lot more than the primary vibes you'll get from a triple.

I suspect the cost of machining on three planes is the reason for the four cylinder. A triple would be far more efficient in turbo form and you don't need a whacking crank damper like you do with a four.

Edited by SteveLee on 20/08/2010 at 02:47

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - b308

. Am I alone in still thinking that there's something in the saying of old-fashioned engineers - 'There's no substitute for cubic inches' ?

Its all about fuel consumption, though, Avant, and the big engines weren't exactly renound for it when used in typical UK driving conditions!

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - Dutchie

VW Before the VW Lupo came on the market had designed a two cylinderengine for the VW Polo.It was stopped by the marketing department they where not sure if it reminded people of the two stroke Trabant .The Lupo didt sell but not due to the 3 cylinder engine.Small engines are mor efficient using lighter materials and less cylinders,there again if you have to put your foot down to move uses more fuel.Modern diesel engines are very efficient and capable of high milages problem soot thats why the dpf filter petol engines more co2.Cars are more complex now all the added bits make for more problems.I think the future is hybrid thought of by Ferdinand Porsche and i believe a Belgian not long after years ago.Maybe back to the 2cv aircooled simple to work on like my vw beetles i had years ago one sold to a student for if i can remember £300 done over 150000 miles and still in good nick :) Just my pennies worth.

It seems Ford are with me on this one, a small capacity turbo-charged triple always stood out to me as the engine that makes sense in the modern world. Small physical size, maximum turbo efficiency (from evenly distributed exhaust pulses), primary vibration issues can be designed out given today's manufacturing techniques, secondary balance is perfect out the box. Well done Ford.

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - balleballe

It seems Ford are with me on this one, a small capacity turbo-charged triple always stood out to me as the engine that makes sense in the modern world. Small physical size, maximum turbo efficiency (from evenly distributed exhaust pulses), primary vibration issues can be designed out given today's manufacturing techniques, secondary balance is perfect out the box. Well done Ford.

There are a few 'brands' that one would expect to come up with the 'next big thing' and ford is certainly not one of them.

I wouldnt be suprised if the engine has massive problems

That's not debate - just prejudice!

That's not debate - just prejudice!

I agree, it's not based on any fundamental facts other than ford's general reliability. Assuming their engine is also of average reliability and that there will be teething issues (as there often are); I wouldn't have high hopes.

Lets be realistic - Mazda have recently sold them the rights to the MZR engine range - which is old technology. To me this implies that they're happy to use 10-15 year old technology from another manufacturer as it would be better than anything they could produce in-house as far as robustness/reliability is concerned

I could be wrong - who knows? Only time will tell

Ford reliability has been pretty good over the last 15-20 years. Co-developing engines is the standard practise these days - it costs too much to go it alone, even BMW shared development of their small capacity petrol turbos with PSA.

The car you drive is (at least) 85% Ford, tweaked by Mazda. Engineering wise Ford are as good as anybody.

Ford reliability has been pretty good over the last 15-20 years. Co-developing engines is the standard practise these days - it costs too much to go it alone, even BMW shared development of their small capacity petrol turbos with PSA.

The car you drive is (at least) 85% Ford, tweaked by Mazda. Engineering wise Ford are as good as anybody.

If the car was 85% ford - then it would be 85% similar to the mondeo - which it is not.

The mazda 6 is based on the G-series flatform which from I can gather is a continuation of the 626's platform. It just so happens that Ford use this platform for the mondeo and fusion as it was a 'joint venture'

The MZR engine was developed by Mazda engineers - ford simply paid for it

The 2.0 ford diesel (PSA) was made by Peugeot Engineers - ford simply paid for it

So in actual fact the Mondeo is actually around 25-30% Mazda. This may be the reason for the increased reliability between a mark 2 and mark 3 mondeo

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - ChannelZ

So in actual fact the Mondeo is actually around 25-30% Mazda. This may be the reason for the increased reliability between a mark 2 and mark 3 mondeo

The MZR is the best part of my Mk3 mondeo. The engine is strong and reliable. The rest of the car has disintegrated once already (needed new suspension, and I mean all of it) before 70k, clutch died due to leaky slave cylinder, it's had one electrical fire and quite a few things don't work, the driver's seat is busted, the power steering whines and whistles...

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - unthrottled

maximum turbo efficiency (from evenly distributed exhaust pulses),

What's wrong with the distribution of exhaust pulses from a conventional four cylinder engine? They are evenly distributed at 180 degrees temporal separation. Turbos prefer constant pressure turbo charging, as opposed to pulse charging. The larger the temporal separation of exhaust the less efficient the turbo becomes. Exhaust valve duration is generally sufficiently short in a turbo engine for the intereference of adjacent cylinders' exhaust events to be a serious problem in a 4 cylinder engine.

At piston speeds of below 10 m/s the effects of engine balance are vastly over-stated. The major problem at low engine speeds is the torque flux due to firing pulses. This is the sole reason why 3 cylinder engines are not more common. The problem cannot be ameliorated by balance shafts or offset flywheels-and any suggestion to the contrary is nonsense.

The effect can be masked by Dual Mass Flywheels-but as we have seen in diesel engines, this solution is not always without problems.

My only experience with turbo-charging triples is with modified Triumph motorcycles, the same turbos spool up much faster on the Triumphs than they do when fitted to similar capacity four pots, the dyno charts don't lie, the torque comes in much earlier and they are easier to fuel, you often have to do wacky things at low revs to get the four pots to fuel properly, not so with the triples, the build up of boost is smoother and more linear - they just work better. To get past the lumpy nature of a triple at low speeds as a designer, you make the crank or flywheel a bit heavier and the problem disappears, as four pots often need counter-balance shafts and crank dampers the weight increase is negligable, again Triumphs pull hard from tickover - not a problem. Let's see how well the Ford fairs before passing judgement - the road tests I've read so far are very positive. If I was going to design a small capacity turbo-charged lump I would end up with the Ford design, which was the inspiration behind the original thread.

Making the flywheel a bit heavier is easy. The problem is that throttle response is hampered by heavy flywheels-that's why DMFs are used. High revving motorcycle engines are a different kettle of fish to car engines. Virtually all modern turbo cars build boost by 1500 RPM and are essentially limited by the surge/choke trade off. The cylinder configuration isn't all that important. Given the same cam profile, I have great difficulty believing that a triple will spool a turbo faster than a four pot-given the same displacement and turbo.

The positive reviews look rather like rehashed press releases to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this engine is bad, but if people think that gasoline has suddenly reached diesel levels of efficiency-they are in for a rude surprise.

Throttle response is also hampered by balance shafts and harmonic dampers required on most four pots plus the mechanical loss of another cylinder and assiciaed valve-train - it's all swings and roundabouts. Gasoline isn't ever going to be as efficient as diesel it contains less energy per cc – however it could be close thanks to emissions gear reducing the efficiency of diesels - petrol does have other advantages like burn rates so higher rev ceilings and lower gearing can make up for lack of torque.
The big win if we should switch to small petrols will be the lack of a horrible cacophony of diesel clatter within a 50 yards of a traffic jam! I find the noise of a line of diesel cars almost unbearable.

Whether you can see a reason for it or not, I have witnessed a big difference in turbo response comparing like for like three and four pots. The weird holes in fuelling caused by wieid acoustics creating "stand-off" (reducing kinetic inlet charging) at low revs doesn't seem to happen with three pots either. I've spent hours of dyno time trying to clean up (full)throttle pick up at low revs with four pots – never had an issue with a triple.

I don't know what sort of camshaft durations you deal with-but I'm willing to bet that they are the cause of the problems with low RPM performance, turbo spooling. 250 degree cams will cause quite severe intereference at low/mid range.

But the cams on modern turbo car engines generally have very short duration and very little overlap. Gas dynamics can generally be ignored with these sorts of turbo motors. Doesn't stop unscruplous companies trying to peddle 'free-flowing' cold air intakes or tubular headers for turbo engines...

If you look at a Cummins V16 diesel, they are happy to use log manifolds which feed/exhaust 8 cylinders each. The intake/exhaust pulses are going to interfere pretty badly when the cylinders are only 45 degrees apart.

I can't get excited by high winding engines. Mechanical stress and friction sky rocket at high engine speeds so you don't achieve anything useful other than a high specific output. The 4 pot 2nd order imbalance is sufficiently small at low speeds that balance shafts can be omitted without any real loss of refinement. The primary unbalanced couple on a triple is larger in magnitude and really has to be addressed (although it is easier to do so)

I don't see the advantage of the constant kinetic energy of the reciprocating mass in a triple in a car engine. The motion of the pistons is useful at attenuating compression/firing torque fluxes at automotive engine speeds. Triples are great for bikes where the high piston speeds make 4 pots a nightmare.

I should imagine piston speed determines the rev ceiling of any petrol engine regardless of configuration.

Most OEM turbo petrol engines experience turbo compressor choking before piston speed becomes a concern. (ok you could keep revving it-but why would you?!)

Thread brought back from the dead again for an update.

Manufacturers who have jumped on the small three pot petrol turbo bandwagon since the last update:

BMW, Renault, PSA, Vauxhall - wasn't such silly idea after all! ;-)

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - Big John

Re the latest EA211 1.0 3cylinder - this engine does NOT have a seperate balancer shaft

www.greencarcongress.com/2015/06/20150602-golf.html

"Crankshaft group has low mass and low friction. The crankshaft group—crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods—is distinguished by low moving masses and low friction. The aluminium pistons and forged connecting rods were weight-optimized such that the 1.0 TSI can do without a balancer shaft. The total weight of the crankshaft was also reduced by 6% by reducing the weight of the crankpins."

VW Polo 1.2TSI why four cylinder? - skidpan

I like the idea of these small capacity low pressure petrol turbos, given the capacity why have VW gone for four cylinders?

The 1.2 4 pot engine has now all but been replaced by the 1.0 3 pot in all VAG cars except (as far as I have spotted) the Leon where both the 1.2 and 1.0 are offered. I cannot see VAG offering the engine much longer.

I love the 1.4 4 pot TSi, its a truly great engine. Tried the 1.2 TSi when we replaced the wifes car and I was really underwealmed. It was the 90 PS version and the 110 would probably have suited us better but getting a drive proved impossible, we walked away wondering how one TSi could be so good and another way below our expectations (we were not expecting 1.4 TSi performasnce)

Just ordered a 3 pot 110 PS in a Fabia. We had an approx 50 mile drive in the 95 PS version and it was excellent but since the 110 was only another £600 that is what we ordered, tried one and it drove brilliantly. Maybe the 1.2 we tried was a bad one but this 1.0 appears to be in a different league.