Citroen C4 VTS HDI - Whining sound- gearbox or diff? Or something else? - AJVTS

Evening,

My car has recently developed a rather interesting problem. I am more inclined to believe it is the diff rather than the gearbox but i shall run the symptoms past you to see what you think.

Between the speeds of 46-50mph i have an odd whining sound. It only happens between these speeds and at no other time. It also happens, at any revs in any gear which is why i believe it to be the diff and not the box, as it is the only part that runs at road speed not revs.

The only thing is, the noise goes away when the clutch is dipped- would this still be consistent with a diff problem?

Any other ideas would be welcome, or more specific diagnoses would be fantastic. I still have 2.5 months warranty remaining on the car, so i would like to get the problem sorted ASAP as it clearly isnt a wear and tear issue

Thanks very much

Citroen C4 VTS HDI - Whining sound- gearbox or diff? Or something else? - Peter D

Report the fault in writting to the dealer and request a reply to the letter. Demonstrate the noise to them and let them comment and identify the way forward. Ask for this in writting. It does sounds like a diff issue, I have come across this on several Vag gear boxes just the same a whine at a specific speed. Regards Peter

Citroen C4 VTS HDI - Whining sound- gearbox or diff? Or something else? - madf

If the noise goes awy when the clutch is dipped it sounds like a gearbox bearing problem...The diff keeps turning all the time , clutch engaged or not...

Citroen C4 VTS HDI - Whining sound- gearbox or diff? Or something else? - AJVTS

That is exactly what i was thinking. The diff would remain noisy even with the clutch disengaged, otherwise the wheels would stop!

Is it worth changing the gearbox oil/checking the level?

Citroen C4 VTS HDI - Whining sound- gearbox or diff? Or something else? - Peter D

It is under warrantee, take it to the dealers. Regards Peter