Ford Focus - Respray - niall76

Have recently discovered after washing my car a few times that the passenger side front door has had a bad spray job done on the upper half at some stage b4 i bought it. I think the garage i bought it from had polished it up but now after some washing it has a dull sheen compared to the rest of the car. On closer inspection it has a few little drips and has definately been touched up by an amateur at some point however they have at least used the correct paint.

Would like to know of any suggestions for fixing this so as it looks more similar to the rest of the car. I don't mind about the drips as the finish is not noticable except on very close inspection, it is just the dull non metallic look compared to the panels around it that i don't like. Is the top half of the door only above black plastic strip. Ford focus 2006 in metallic Black.

Have been advised if i use T-cut that i would prob have to do every other panel as well. If anyone has an idea of price for a proffesional respray of the door would also conider this.

Thanks

Ford Focus - Respray - Peter D

If you polish that panel does the colour come off on the cloth. The paint should have a lacquer coat and the colour should not come off on the cloth. Rgards Peter

Ford Focus - Respray - mikej

Have been advised if i use T-cut that i would prob have to do every other panel as well.

I obviously can't speak for your car, but the Panther black paintwork on my old Focus was in pretty good condition, even at 9+ years old, and I used (metallic) t-cut and other products on small areas without any problems. I never had the need to do adjacent panels to make the treated areas blend in.

Meguiars Scratch X is good for removing light swirls in paintwork and (I think) is less abrasive than t-cut, so might also be worth considering.

IIRC - a metallic paint finish is often applied in two coats, with the top coat being a lacquer to give it a sheen - is it possible that this top coat was never applied ?

It's unlikely to be rust on a 2006 car I wouldn't have thought, at least not in that area - are there any other signs of accident damage ?

Ford Focus - Respray - jc2

Any sprayer won't be keen on just doing the door-to get a proper colour match,it is preferable to respray the whole side of the car.