Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - scfc_151

Quick question...

Does anybody think that brake pads / discs from the dealer are superior to branded parts such as mintex / ferodo etc.

The reason I ask is that my car only just got through the mot with the handbrake with new pads, discs, cable fluid and re con calipers. (It had done over 2000) miles before the mot so they were well bedded in.

My mate had exactly the same problem with his bmw. The test said 18% with mintex pads / discs. Then he changed to bmw genuine pads / discs and it went to 28%!

Should I change to genuine parts before the next mot?

Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - gordonbennet

Mintex pads and discs are high quality items, something doesn't add up there, were the discs worn/scored on the BMW or were the pads a fast road as against a standard replacement item.

It's been my experience that the two makes you mention are first class products, often used by makers of quality cars for OE, look inside a brand new RR's discs you will find Ferodo pads nestling there.

Lots of other good makes too, every bit as good as OE, often same make as OE (Textar fitted to MB and BMW for example) and considerably cheaper from the good suppliers.

I wouldn't buy cheap tat from just anywhere though, and that goes for anything really not just brakes.

Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - scfc_151

As far as I know my mate said his pads and discs were in new condition. Thats why I cant work out whether its work spending the extra cash on dealer parts to get the handbrake through an mot or stick with my mintex that are already on as they wont get any better?

Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - Peter.N.

I never normally use original parts, get mine from GSF or the like, never had any trouble with them. I suspect that if they were normal and not extra hard pads you have something amiss with your brakes

Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - Collos25

Mintex probably make most of the original parts to start with.

Peugeot 306 - Genuine brake parts vs branded - galileo

There is no possibility your mates 'Mintex' were counterfeit pads? There are such things and not always obvious from their appearance.