Nissan Almera 1.5S 2003 - Clutch / Gearbox Repair Advice for Nissan Almera - johnnym4

Hello,

Can anyone offer an informed opinion here on if this is reasonable or not please.

Briefly put, a garage took my wifes car in for inspection the other day as she had trouble getting it into reverse. After 40 mins, they said the clutch had gone and had to be replaced. Went ahead with the work, only to find it did not clear the problem. They then said that the gearbox had gone instead and had to be replaced. They want £600.00 + labour to do this. In the meantime, we still have to pay for the clutch repair.

To be fair, the price they charged for this was reasonable however, my issue is could they not have found out at some stage before going through with the clutch replacement, that the gearbox was the problem instead? I just think we got the job done, by their own advice as to the problem. As its turned out to be wrong, if it was their mistake, should it be reasonable that we have to pay in full for this work? As I say, happy to pay for some of their work but I would have thought, as they diagnosed wrongly what the problem was, they should reflect some of the blame by reducing the cost - is that an unfair assumption? Happy to be told differently as I am not a car expert by any means.

Other question is, does anyone know anywhere where I can get the gearbox replaced/refurbished? Live near Swansea, South Wales. Choice seems to be very limited. Car is only worth about £2k so to spend over £1k on this, seems to be poor value for money.

Many Thanks,

JJ

Nissan Almera 1.5S 2003 - Clutch / Gearbox Repair Advice for Nissan Almera - duncan4071

Hi i work in garage (work on trucks though). Im affraid this is common place in a garage so i would stand your ground and argue with them insisting its their liability and misdiagnosis which has caused this problem. Ask to see the old "clutch driven plate" and ask why its been changed as they visually have wear marks on them. And the garage should have realised that it wasnt the clutch when it was removed, hence why did they fit a new one. The fact that it would not select a single gear and not all of them should insinuate that the problem lies internaly. If the clutch was at fault All of the gears would fail to select. To resolve the problem i sugest that you source one from a sc*** yard and strike up a deal for them to fit the box cheaply, so they can rectify there error. Hope that helps.