BMW e46 320d - BMW 320d Turbo\Engine Problem - ant1973

My Father has a 2002 52 plate 320d on 44k. Around 6 weeks ago, the car began to smoke and burn oil. Turbo failure was ultimately diagnosed and the turbo was duly replaced. EGR valve, etc, was cleaned, exhaust system thoroughly cleaned. Anyway, the smoking continued after the period in which the residue of the engine oil would normally have been burned off. The smoke is white. When left to idle under some load oil is depsoited on the road from the exhaust. The oil level is gradually declining at a slow rate. The car however is running very well and there is no loss of pressure. Current thinking at the garage is that there is a problem with the head or the block more generally. It looks like the engine is generating 2-3 times the pressure that it should and is forcing oil through the system. It is recommended that a pressure test on the block be carried out. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

BMW e46 320d - BMW 320d Turbo\Engine Problem - Collos25

Is the head gasket ok its sounds awfully like its failed.

BMW e46 320d - BMW 320d Turbo\Engine Problem - ant1973

I don't think the garage can tell without stripping down the engine. There is no coolant loss but, as I said, there is oil loss.

BMW e46 320d - BMW 320d Turbo\Engine Problem - madf

"When left to idle under some load oil is depsoited on the road from the exhaust. The oil level is gradually declining at a slow rate"

hmm.. sounds like@

a turbo oil seal gone

a valve stem oil seal gone

worn piston rings...

Head Gasket is unlikely to go and let oil directly into exhaust...

BMW e46 320d - BMW 320d Turbo\Engine Problem - Collos25

I would agree with you but there is pressurisation and smoke, time will tell.