Hyundai Getz - Aircon repair - cepheus

I have received a repair quote of £260+VAT from a local garage for a small Hyundai Getz. It is a Condenser leak and nearly all the cost is for the Condenser part which is only available from the main dealer. Labour is only about £50

Local Garage tells me the 5 yr guarantee won't cover this, since it is probably a stone chip which damaged the condenser (a common problem) which comes under wear and tear, something I find it difficult to believe.

It probably isn't worth it since I only do 3000 miles a year in it, and rarely long journeys.

Anyone had similar problems and found a cheaper way to get these parts or seal condensor leaks?

Hyundai Getz - Aircon repair - Collos25

So their gaurantee is worthless they could use this excuse for any part they chose.Your car must be like new with such low mileage I would go back to them and demand they do the repair or a new car or my money back as this one is not fit for purpose. If it was ten years old then its acceptable but not on a car that still under warranty.Also go to the CIB and the trading standards and tell the garage. Don't loose your temper just inform them what you expect them to do and while they are doing it you want a service car.

Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer.

When I bought the car a few years ago second hand, I noticed it had not been serviced by a Hyundai dealer, so I thought it wasn't worth driving 20 miles to the dealership to continue it. Hence I have always taken it to local garages. One did some regassing 3 months ago but failed to spot the leak. It is their opinion that any Dealerships don't gaurantee this sort of repair.

I will check with Hyundai, tomorrow but I guess the response is, unless you have serviced it with us tough. I remember checking before buying it and they were very cagey.

It has only a few months to go on the warranty, with about 35k on the clock, but as you suggest, this is a parts or design fault and should be technically covered.

Edited by cepheus on 02/08/2010 at 20:49

Hyundai Getz - Aircon repair - elekie&a/c doctor

Warranty or not,you would be very unlucky to have a condensor with stone/impact damage.More likely to be a manufacturing fault.I am sure this part is available other than from main dealer at reduced cost.hth

Yes, you are right it seems to be a component fault. In fact the Hyundai dealer tells me it is both the compressor and condenser which is unusual, especially for a 35k car. I wonder if this explains the oil vapour in the interior?

Anyway despite the car not having the servicing done with Hyundai and only the book stamped, they are willing to cover it with only a month to go on the 5yrwarranty! This would have cost me £1500 in all they tell me. The car can't be worth much more than that.

Edited by cepheus on 27/08/2010 at 15:16

I'm not convinced the air-con is working again! If I place a thermometer at the air outlet I can't get any temperature drop. It is difficult to tell in winter though. It isn't thermostatically controlled.

I rang the dealer to discuss this problem, and asked if the work they did 6 months ago was under warranty. They were very dismissive and just kept telling me the car was out of warranty! There is no 'warranty on warranty' It's most unlikely another fault has developed. I have only driven 2000 miles at most! Perhaps it is a fault they failed to solve in the first place, another gas leak, or they didn't tighten something up.

Can't afford a bill at that place!

Hyundai Getz - Aircon repair - jagredux

I don't know if this is too late but them saying 'there's no warranty on warranty' is rubbish. You have a 12 month guarantee on any parts they fitted. Take the car back with the receipt and get them to check it as a minimum. It may be an unrelated fault, but if a part they fitted is faulty, or if the work they did is not up to scratch, you're covered. Just threaten to take them to the trading standards if they give you any problems.

Hyundai Getz - Aircon repair - jc2

With most manufacturers,a part fitted under warranty is only covered till the end of the warranty-if YOU pay for the part and fitting,then you get a 12 month guarantee.