Ford Focus ST - 2007 - Inner CV joint wear symptoms - cheddar

Hello All,

Since getting this car 9 months or so ago I have done about 22k miles over which time I have noticed a steadily worsening vibration.

At low speeds on a smooth glassy road surface all is well though if the surface is coa*** then a vibration is felt. At high speeds there is a kind of thrum through the car. Larger bumps etc are handled well.

The suspension etc has been given a clean bill of health.

More recently there has been a kind of chattering noise between gears and a rattle when traversing sharp bumps, rumble strips etc.

The inner CV joints are showing signs of wear, when grasping either driveshaft and pulling it back and forth it pivots around the outer CV joint as the inner joint moves by a few mm and clicks at the same time. This would explain the chattering noise between gears and the rattle however I want to be clear that this may also explain the vibration.

My theory is that on a smooth surface the CV joint is rotating smoothly though small, high frequency movements in the suspension caused by a course road surface induce movement in the CV joints which is felt as vibration.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks.

Ford Focus ST - 2007 - Inner CV joint wear symptoms - corax

Is this vibration through the steering wheel or through the car? It could be the CV joints, although I'm not sure that they would cause vibration, and I would have thought that the outer ones would show signs of wear first, unless the inner ones are faulty. They normally just start making clicking noises on steering lock if they're worn. If you're not sure what it is, you may just have to keep driving until it gets worse, then you'll have a more definite answer.

My BMW had/has a vibration through the rear. I changed tyres, wheels, rebalanced, ended up reconditioning the propshaft and replacing, still there. Now I've driven it much further, I can hear that it's one or both of the rear wheel bearings.

Ford Focus ST - 2007 - Inner CV joint wear symptoms - piston power

Does this have a DMF? Dual mass flywheel.

These do drop to bits and this may be your problem have been known at 7k upwards.

Ford Focus ST - 2007 - Inner CV joint wear symptoms - rtj70

It's not your car and you don't pay the bills. Get it booked into a Ford garage and get them to take a look. Report back when they tell you what was wrong with it.

It's not your car and you don't pay the bills. Get it booked into a Ford garage and get them to take a look. Report back when they tell you what was wrong with it.

Grandma, teaching, sucking, eggs!!

I know though I pay a lot for the pleasure of having it, I have and they have - a couple of times!!

It is shortly having the driveshafts replaced and I am hoping that it is the correct diagnosis so I am not back to square one, hence soliciting opinions in here.

Edited by cheddar on 02/08/2010 at 15:11

Don't accept the car back if it's not fixed? If they replace the driveshafts and it does not fix it then they can then replace something else. Under warranty presumably so your employer is not out of pocket.

I've mentioned on here before but when I got a new Passat in 2000 the turbo was extremely noisy. Took the car back and explained what it was and they said it was the gearbox... so they replaced the gearbox despite me protesting.... then they replaced all of the turbo system a few days later.

They then phoned up to apologise that it was still not right and making a turbo noise and VW technical involved. I got the car back in the meantime and it was fixed. Yes there was a slight turbo noise but originally it sounded like a jet fighter taking off.

An expensive swap by the garage but no doubt fully paid by VW. Oddly enough the Golf I had before this did need a new gearbox straight away.... and a turbo. VW quality.

Edited by rtj70 on 02/08/2010 at 19:18

Ford Focus ST - 2007 - Inner CV joint wear symptoms - Railroad.

I recently had a Transit Connect with a worn N/S inner driveshaft joint and the vibration is caused was horrendous. The joint on a Focus is similar if not identical......

Update:

The drive shafts were replaced on Monday, initially all seemed well though during a 170 mile round trip yesterday the previous symptoms seemed to be apparent and getting nearer home it worsened significantly.

Then reversing out of the drive last night I could feel and hear something rubbing against a tyre, a look under the near side wheel arch showed that the anti-roll bar link top ball joint had parted leaving the link to fall backwards in the wheel arch, when right hand lock was applied the tyre had pushed against the link bending it.

A new link is being fitted today, I am now unsure whether the failing link was the cause of the original symptoms (i.e. the drive shafts were not the cause) or an independent problem.

Either way hopefully all will be well now.

EDIT: I have just noticed that in my first post c o a r s e has been caught be the swear filter !!!

Edited by cheddar on 05/08/2010 at 14:59

It can't like the word a r s e then and is zapping the whole word.

Did the original problem get cured but the link failed due to poor work? Hope it's all fixed so you can enjoy the car again.

It can't like the word a r s e then and is zapping the whole word.

Did the original problem get cured but the link failed due to poor work? Hope it's all fixed so you can enjoy the car again.

New droplink and all seems fine, either the problem was the droplink to start with or it has concidentally failed just after the drive shafts were replaced, probably the latter.