Can moles swim? - pda

I've been troubled by a mole for sometime now. Despite having a huge field behind my garden he insists upon digging up my lawn.

On Tuesday the 3 cats spent the day quizically watching the soil move as he dug away under a tree in the lawn, and I thought at least one of them might catch him.

In exasperation, I got the hose pipe out and set the gun to a forceful spout and decided to fill all the mole runs up with water in an attempt to drive him back into the field.

Then I wondered if he may drown:(

I needn't have worried, he suddenly popped out looking very, very wet and ran into the hedge, leaving 3 cats and myself looking shocked!

Yesterday he was back and I suspect, enjoying the worms and the easy digging, from the nicely softened soil.

I've already listened to Jasper Carrott for advice, so has anyone got any answers?

Pat

Can moles swim? - oilrag

Never seen one in our part of the Calder valley - in West yorkshire, Pat.

You`re usually up before the moles.. a bit late for you, posting as late as at 6.46am ;-)

regards

Can moles swim? - Cliff Pope

Yes. I recall a nature programme a few years ago showing scenes of moles swimming underwater along flooded tunnels. They are apparently very proficient swimmers.

Can moles swim? - Markettips1

O my, how cold the water was, and O, how VERY wet it felt. How it sang in his ears as he went down, down, down! How bright and welcome the sun looked as he rose to the surface coughing and spluttering! How black was his despair when he felt himself sinking again! Then a firm paw gripped him by the back of his neck. It was the Rat, and he was evidently laughing--the Mole could FEEL him laughing, right down his arm and through his paw, and so into his--the Mole's--neck.

Edited by HJ publisher on 03/08/2010 at 14:13

Can moles swim? - danieljones2006
Yes they surely can. They have adapted and learned to swim gradually.