ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - welshBam87

hi, ive recently had my turbo changed on my ford focus 07 tdci. along with a new oil feed pipe and banjos as i was informed. but since its been done, now and again when im accelerating, i hear a deep noise, like the suck of an induction kit or air from a blown exhaust. im not loosing power at all! i made sure i checked the old turbo for missing parts so they hadnt been sucked into the engine, but the turbo was intact, but there had been a slight wear on the rotar blades?? any advice would be very much appreciated ! many thanks !

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - oilrag

Welcome to the Forum ;-)

I would go over the turbo and intercooler hoses again, looking for loose clips or hidden splits that open under pressure.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - Collos25

Do these have the electronic actuator like the 2.0tdci if so did they change it as well because you are not not supposed to split them,just a thought.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - sandy56

If you paid a garage to do the work take it back and tell them to fix the problem. Sounds like they didnt do the job properly.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - Peter.N.

Sounds as though you have a leak in the intake side of the turbo, check the pipe from the air filter to the turbo.

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - Sue2010

Hi just wanted to ask has this issue been resolved??

as same thing happened to my 1.6 tdci after new turbo put on at accelation a whizzing noise was heard for 6 months (garag told us "Oh that will probably go after a while as its new" this went on until last night, the turbo failed whilst on the A120 seizing the engine and possibly the gearbox as it rolls when in gear. had to have it towed 69miles to our garage that did the turbo work in feb 2010, they are currently going to strip it down and get intouch with the turbo supplier who will probably want it returned to them so they can have a look at it..................so now its a waiting game and hopefully the turbo company will except liability of a falty turbo and cover the cost of the repairs.

if anyone has any information on this sort of thing please comment thankyou :-)

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - madf

When the turbo fails it sprays oily debris into the intercooler and oil lines, often with metallice fragments attached..

So when a new turbo is installed it is ESSENTIAL all those bits are carefully cleaned out.

Sounds like they were not...

ford focus 1.6 tdci - ford focus new turbo fitted, but making deep noise - Sue2010

Thanks for that the garage managed to get a bulletin from a friend at fords regarding the turbo with 9 pages of strick instructions on the procedure to follow before fitting the new turbo, I have a copy of this and i'm pretty sure they did there part correctly, the AA guy did show us the turbine which was not sitting correctly his word were if you put your finger in there you should be able to turn it around. in ours your couldn't.......... we have to wait and see what results comes back from the turbo supplier now