Rover Streetwise diesel - Warranty failure - woody in tiptree

I purchased a Rover Streetwise diesel from -a car dealer- for £3100 without warranty, other than an agreed 3 months on mechanicals, which I believe to be the statutory minimum. I also took out a third party warranty with snip. On 16/12/09, the car would not accelerate and had to be taken to the local Rover service agent, who performed diagnostics. The end result was a bill for over £600 for mainly diagnostics, including also £200 for a replacement potentiometer. Warranty direct wouldn't cover it as they said it was less than the three months inital period and GPR said that electrics were not covered, just engine failure!
Have I got cause for a claim against either please?

regards
Paul

Hello Paul, Welcome to the Forum.

i`ve edited out the names of the companies - car dealers and warranty companies read forums too and you may have given enough info to be identified by them

regards

Edited by oilrag (Moderator) on 28/07/2010 at 18:24

Rover Streetwise diesel - Warranty failure - Armitage Shanks {p}

There used be a section on the site, in FAQs which stated that a car bought from a dealer was covered for 6 months, and unless the dealer could prove otherwise the fault was presumed to be present at the time of sale and it had to be fixed/corrected. How long after the sale did this problem occur and, if it failed in mid December last year, how has this question arisen in the last week of July, 7 months later?

Rover Streetwise diesel - Warranty failure - bonzo dog

Hi Woody, a number of points if I may:

1. There is no statutory minimum warranty cover required under law, although it is (bizzarely IMO) a widely held notion by both customers & dealers that 3 month engine & gearbox cover is such.
  2. If the un-named WARRANTY company you bought the policy DIRECTly from have rejected the claim as being inside 90 days from commencement they must be of the oppinion that the fault is wear & tear otherwise the claim would have been approved (as I understand the policy terms). Whilst w&t in itself does not remove all liability from the suppying dealer under sale of goods, this fact may limit their responsibility
  3. Did you give the supplying dealer the opportunity to rectify the fault before taking it to the Rover garage? If not, again the suppliers liability is greatly reduced
  4. I'd ask the supplier nicely AND IN WRITING to consider paying towardsthe costs. If you get no joy try Trading Standards & ask their views

Good luck

Rover Streetwise diesel - Warranty failure - LucyBC

There is no liability for the supplying garage to pay the Rover garage's bill if you went there without reference to them. You could ask them for a goodwill contribution but you instructed the work and there is no liability for them to pay - the procedure is you take the car back to them and ask them to fix the fault.

On the warranty issue it's an insurance policy and you need to read it thoroughly as to the exclusions. Ask for a note it writing as to why they are refusing to pay.