Detailing - tyre dressing - captain chaos

Stepson called round the other day to show off his brand new Fiat Punto. Lovely car, and he was delighted with it. I was wondering if any back roomers knew what car dealers use to dress the tyres. I always use Autoglym tyre dressing but it isn't anywhere near as glossy.

I really must get out more :)

Edited by Avant on 02/08/2010 at 21:04

Deatailing - tyre dressing - captain chaos

Apologies for the typo in the header :(

Deatailing - tyre dressing - gordonbennet

I use a foam tyre cleaner from good old Lidl's, spray it on the sidewalls when you've finished washing the rest of the car, let is soak for a while scrub if you like, hose off (not strictly needed) and leaves a lovely deep cleaned sidewall with a sort of satin sheen.

It cleans the tyrewall leaves them like new again.

Detailing - tyre dressing - Avant

Typo edited for you Captain - no problem

Deatailing - tyre dressing - k9dan

I use Valetpro tyre dressing, you'll find them on T'internet. Gallon bottle is £24, it lasts for ages, put it on with a paint brush. The longlife PDI wax is very good too, get a couple of mates to split it, cheap as chips compared to H********. I don't have any connection with Valetpro.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - bimmer-driver

Armorall Tyre Foam can't be beat. Comes in a red and orange can, about a fiver.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - turbo11

Turtle wax foaming tyre dressing. Spray into the lid of the can and apply with a 1" paint brush.Been doing it this way in F1 for decades, Looks great and easy way to apply.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - bathtub tom

You people polish your tyres?

Deatailing - tyre dressing - oilrag

Do you polish your paint, Tom? ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 26/07/2010 at 08:10

Deatailing - tyre dressing - Paul G1pdc

i've used the tyre foam stuff in the past...hmm for years...yep about £5 per tin...and when you treat your car and the bosses a tin doesn't last long...plus the local tyre fitters don't like it as it makes the alloy wheel slippery when they are removing the old tyre...for cost reason i have now swapped over to tesco tyre stuff......

yep tesco....its not that bad to be honest....it even smells quite nice....and it costs £1 yes 100 of your English pennies......and the tin is the same size as the £5 tyre foam....

give it a try....no i don't work for tesco.....

paul.

the stuff they use at car dealers,,,once had a chat to a salesman at a main dealers about tyres...sad hu....he said they use paint on tyre black,,,and he hated the stuff as it tends to come off and stick to the sides of the car....

Deatailing - tyre dressing - bathtub tom

>>Do you polish your paint, Tom? ;-)

If I'm trying to sell the car, then I may, but apart from that, erm, no.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - Victorbox

I use Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care applied with a small paint brush and allowed to soak in for a couple of hours. No buffing, no wiping off excess and no need to clean the face of the wheel as with the spray on types.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - piston power

Black gloss paint put a bit in a old tub and mix with thinners until nice and thin almost like water and paint on the tyre sidewalls.

This is the old method and still used today on second hand tyres.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - gramar

What's the point in tarting up you tyres? A waste of money in my opinion.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - Pizza man
as with most thigns like this it "makes the car look nicer" after all new cars have shiny black tyres and everyone wants a new car look.
Deatailing - tyre dressing - turbo11

"What's the point in tarting up you tyres? A waste of money in my opinion."

Well to me having a clean car and dirty tyres is like wearing a smart suit with dirty shoes.Attention to detail in everything.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - piston power

Why wash the wheels why wash the car? To take pride in it also look at these lot who take it to extreme painting engine blocks detailing everything new hoses etc.

Tyre paint can also hide cracks which can be a problem.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - Collos25

When you look at second hand cars with painted tyres that need replacing it just makes me laugh,it just shows that people can be conned into buying anything.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - gramar

I've never bought a new car but have bought new tyres and they are never shiny. To my mind painitng tyres is rather vain . A bit like a grey haired person dying their hair. They're not kidding anyone only themselves.

Deatailing - tyre dressing - madf

How to dress tyres: A guide.

First wash and clean tyres.

Dry with a clean white towel.

Then apply aftershave.. Lynx will do.

Your choice of undergarments: a silk seductive number will do nicely.

Then a nice little leather number will turn on the boys on..

Leave in garage untill someone drives it away...

Deatailing - tyre dressing - Jonesy127
>>>To my mind painitng tyres is rather vain .

More or less vain than polishing the bodywork?