SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - EddMiles

Hi guys

I've got an N reg Seat Ibiza Salsa (1994/5 I think) and it's recently developed a weird issue. Sometimes when I come to the car and turn it on, the motor doesn't engage. No turning over, no clicking, just nothing! All the lights and car electronics work, but when I turn the igniton on, absolutely nothing happens. Sometimes this is fixed by just turning it off and trying again, sometimes it takes several attempts. This evening it got very irritating in that it took 25 minutes for me to get it started (I was in Cambridge at the time, and needed to get back to Birmingham!). This issue appears to be exacerbated by a warm car (why I don't know, but if it's been left in the sun for any time is much more likely to have trouble starting). Once it's started it runs fine, and normally if I subsequently stop it (say to fill up with petrol) it will start fine first attempt. But if I leave it any length of time, the issue can start up again.

Additional (probably irrelevant) information

The car has an after-market immobiliser fitted, (Centurion Carshield) I have no idea how it works, so don't know if it's even possible to be related, but thought I'd add it!

Any ideas? I really can't afford to take it to a garage at the mo, but might have to put it on my credit card if you can't help!

TIA

-Edd

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - Avant

It might be the alarm, but it could easily be a loose connection within the ignition/starter switch.

Do the warning lights come on when you switch on the ignition? Dirty battery terminals could be the problem if they dim when you try the starter; if the lights come on and the starter doesn;t work, it's either the loose connection or the starter motor itself.

If it's the starter motor getting jammed, rocking the car forwards and backwards wih it in second gear and handbrake on can sometimes free it.

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - EddMiles
The lights come on and stay on unchanged. I cleaned the battery terminals anyway, no help :( The rocking didn't work either.

Although again today I noticed the temperature thing, (which is really confusing. WHY wont my car start if it's been in the sun? It'll starts fine after it's driven 200 miles and the engine is at temperature, but leave it in the sun for 1/2 an hour and no!) it wouldn't start at all at midday, came out at 7PM and could replicate the problem!

Think I'll just take it to the garage and take the hit. They can puzzle it out for me!
SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - dfowler
Hi Edd,

I have the original instructions for a Centurion Carshield immobiliser so email me dfowler1@onetel.com if you want a copy. The company has gone but basically there is a coil around the ignition barell which is activated by bringing the eliptical immobiliser fob into its proximity (few inches) which it is why it is usually on the keyring.

There should be one RED fob which is the master to be kept safe at home and one or more BLACK fobs which are for day to day use having been programmed from the red one.

Failure of the fob ( no batteries in this type ) generally shows by rapid flashing of the red dash LED. I am told that sometimes if an immobiliser throws a wobbly it can be reset by disconnecting the battery for several hours ( note radio code first)

Might i ask that if your immobiliser is being replaced. i would like first dibs at having the old fobs as I am down to my last fob.

TIA

dfowler
SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - ggh1

Starter motor brushes can wear out at this age.

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - Peter D

With no clunk from the starter pre-engage I suspect a connector problem or ignition switch, the latter being quite common. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 22/08/2010 at 12:26

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - Jon P

EddMiles, I'm going with Peter D on this one.

My brother had a Seat Cordoba (the Ibiza estate) of a similar vintage which had the exact same problem. The ignition switch was replaced and the problem disappeared.

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - priest21

Hello,

I am possibly about to blow up this entire thread, but hope this brings more light instead of more darkness to this issue.

I am from the USA and right now on holiday in Bavaria. I rented a car from Munich airport's Avis rental and was given a BRAND NEW ('10 or '11 model) Ibiza Seat. I received it with 7 miles on it! Woo hoo! Well, not so fast...

Each morning so far that I've gone to start it, parked out all night in the Bavarian cold, it does EXACTLY the same thing you (Ed) describe above. Click, click, click... all lights are right, click, click, click - clutch is in, car is in neutral - click, click, click. Then, after I've tried 10 to 20 turns, it will finally start. I took the manual to my hotel's desk and had them read (since the manual's all in German) the part about starting and they said that there is nothing special said about turning the key and waiting or anything. Like you, Ed, when I am driving it all day, it will start for me no problem. However, in the morning, click, click, click. So in their kindness they said, "Well, if the cold is causing it, you can park it inside our garage for free." (the garage is a bit warmer) I am trying it tonight to see if it helps. I then googled my problem and, voila, I come to your thread.

Well, at least I can hand the keys back when I'm done. I'd be curious to know if you or the mechanic ever discovered anything new.

Thanks for the thread and the info!!

Brent

SEAT Ibiza - Car occasionally wont start - wont even turn over - Reiner

Hello Edd,

Please tell me what you did to resolve this problem.

I have the exact same problem you have mentioned above. Even I noticed that when it is hot during the day, it takes about 25 minutes to get it started. Very frustrating!!!

Very interested to know.

Reiner