VW Sharen 1.9td 2001 - Temperature gauge - sparky100

Hi, we have just returned from Scotland on holiday, and on the way home the temperature gauge which is normally on 90degrees started to go downto approx 70degrees and then up to 90 and then down to 50 and then back to 90. This continues all the time now. The warning came up as Radiator / workshop. I checked the water level this was perfect. The engine doesn't seem to be over hot. I wondering if the temp/ sender is playing up, but i can't seem to find it. The car runs ok. But is very annoying. Has anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance.sparky 100

VW Sharen 1.9td 2001 - Temperature gauge - elekie&a/c doctor

I think that your diagnosis is correct .Certainly looks like a faulty coolant temp sensor.Probably #1 of sensor faults on VAG models.It is usually a push fit into a coolant pipe near the thermostat housing and blue or green plastic colour.hth

Hi, thanks for quick reply elekie. I have had a look at where you said but can't find it. the thermostat housing is just behind the alternator on this engine. I have a haynes manual but it doesn't cover this model. I had a good look around but it is very cramped in the engine compartment, i would had thought it was easy to find, but that's life. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks again. sparky100.

I think you will find the sensor in coolant pipe, gearbox end of the engine.hth

Hi, i have had another look but their is no sign of a sensor there or anything with wires coming out of it, there is a sensor on drivers side of radiator but this i think is to control the fans. Where the outlet on the block goes back to the radiator there are three hoses, two for the heater and one for the rad, i would have thought it might have been around there. But can't see anything, Thanks for your help elekie, but could you be more precise. sparky100.

Do you have the 3 letter engine code?It will be on the plastic cambelt cover or on a white label in the spare wheel well.Something like AWX or AVB .hth

Hi, yes i had a look ,it's ANU. Thanks again.

Hi, yes i had a look , it's ANU. Thanks again.

Hi, still trying to find temp gauge sensor. I can't believe i cannot see it. Any advice gratefully received.Thanks.

Looking at the sevice info on these,I am sure it can be found at the end of the cylinder head,gearbox end in one of the coolant pipes.Poosibly to the back of engine .It is a push fit secured by a plastic horseshoe clip.Usually green or blue plastic.Remove the plastic engine cover for better access.hth