Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - johnny

Hi

I bought a 07 plate 1.9 diesel Octavia last month and a mighty fine car too. Trouble is I can't get my head round a two year service interval ( I always did a six month intermediate oil change on my last car) and since we only cover 10K a year, so might be better changing to fixed annual service. Last service was April 09, next one due April 11 - we have a long trip to S of France this August.

Q: Would it be wise to do a National Tyres Castrol Edge oil change now (£31.50 and 507.00 spec) or would it void my Approved Used Skoda warranty? Or is it really fine to run two years on the same oil. I'm sure I'd be looking at £100-ish for a main dealer oil change.

Thanks

Edited by johnny on 04/07/2010 at 23:23

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - k9dan

Ask dealer for cost of oil change only, don't think they would do it as they need to reset the computer so would do the 2 year service. I think your stuck with dealer so as not to mess up your warranty. ASDA are doing Mobil 1 ESP, 507 spec for £32 for 5L, would they let you supply the oil?? Same with me 2 year oil changes just seems alien. When mine goes out of warranty it's getting a remap and yearly oil changes with 507 spec. Turbos don't like dirty oil. The car will tell you if it needs an oil change with plenty of warning. I wouldn't worry too much. The long run will do it good, and you will see almost 60MPG.

Turbo's my main concern, but are these covered by warranty?
By the time the next service is due, the warranty will have almost expired anyway, after which I'll be using my local Skoda independent which is 100 yards down the road. I don't have too much faith in the main dealer, having witnessed them put biodiesel into a petrol BMW.

Edited by johnny on 05/07/2010 at 01:17

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - dieseldogg

Consult "Briskoda" forum

Cheers

PS

from a Soon to be Skoda owner

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - bristol01

Depends in part on how long you're likely to keep the car. But I'd always get oil changed each year. I've got a Verso diesel and Toyota stipulate 10k miles or a year.

Lovely cars, Octavias.

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - quizman

I would change the oil every year, but make sure you use the 507.00 spec. The National deal seems good, you do not have to tell the dealer that the oil has been changed, they would not know or care anyway.

All this computer in the engine checking the oil is nonsence, the long life service is manually set at about 18000 miles.

Don't worry it's your car and you can't hurt it by changing the oil, as long as you use the correct spec.

Have a good time in France, it's a great place and the roads are fantastic. The wine and food aren't bad either!

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - concrete

Quizman is right. My Skoda Superb is on a variable service regime, only calling for a service when the computer says yes!! Tosh, they reguarly call at about 17/18K regardless. I do about 30K per year so service quite often but variable services always use Synthetic High Grade oil which is supposed to last the distance. 90% of my motoring is motorway long runs at about 2500rpm. Hardly use any oil and return over 50mpg. Perfect conditions for a modern engine. Have not found Skoda dealer to be expensive. If I were you on low mileage and some short runs i would change the oil and filter at least every 6 months regardless of mileage. Cost out the main dealer and other approved indie for this job. If the approved indie use Skoda parts and approved oil ( get it listed on the invoice) then your Skoda warranty will stand. Concrete

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - Glenn 42

Depends in part on how long you're likely to keep the car. But I'd always get oil changed each year. I've got a Verso diesel and Toyota stipulate 10k miles or a year.

Lovely cars, Octavias.

The local taxi drivers swear by them

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Just had my first variable interval service done at 1 yo and ~16,000miles.

I'd not like to push it to 2 years. Off to France soon for 3 weeks of camping, sun and entente cordiale.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 05/07/2010 at 21:59

.. and diesel still under a pound a litre across the channel.

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - woodster

Seems like the Octavia'a popular here - wonder what our average age is?? Just got mine 2 weeks ago, also off to the south of France in August - after an oil change of course! My only niggle is a clunk in the drivers door when I go round the first left hand bend of the day. Any ideas? They're getting it back under warranty but I feel like a nuisance customer moaning. But it does irritate.

Skoda Octavia - Variable Servicing / Oil change - Herr Sandwichmann
**My only niggle is a clunk in the drivers door when I go round the first left hand bend of the day.

Indeed, I bet it's driving you round the bend...

Sorry.

I'm 47 for the record.