Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - RicardoB
I've had cause to visit a couple of main dealers in the last few weeks. Vauxhall and Ford, as it happens.

Now, maybe I'm turning into a proper grumpy, but there seems to be a trend that I'd not come across before - music blasting out all around the showroom and even through loudspeakers outside on the forecourt.

When I say music, I use the word advisedly. Certainly not the sort I would choose to listen to - modern hiphop Y Factor type of thing.

Now, I can well understand why the dealers might want to add a bit of atmosphere/relax customers, or even entertain themselves when there are no punters around, but this was really irritating, and if I was, say working out figures/discussing a deal etc, I would find it really off putting.

And there was more... On one of these trips, I was there just dropping my car off for a service, then the plan was to get a taxi into work. As I was waiting for the taxi, my phone rang and there was I, trying to have a discrete sensible professional coversation from outside, but this blasted noise would clearly have been heard by my caller, who no doubt thought I was not concentrating on the business in hand.

I know. It's probably me. But heyho. Time and a place, chaps.
Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - Vitesse6

Quite agree, when I was looking round a used car ssupermarket recently it was the same - I voted with my feet and went to a quieter dealer.

And no, you aren't grumpy, there is just no need for a musical accompaniment to buying a car!

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - Armstrong Sid
music blasting out all around the showroom and even through loudspeakers outside on the forecourt.

That's something I've noticed alot in the past couple of years. Go to any out-of-town retail park and many of the stores (especailly the likes of Comet, Dixons etc) will have several speakers on the outside of the building, blasting out music which I suppose is intended to entice you in.

It's the same mentality which makes it increasingly difficult to find a pub which doesn't have music. Seems there are people who can't handle the idea of a bar which only has the sound of human speech.

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 02/07/2010 at 09:21

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - BorisTheSpider

That why I like my local, a bar on one side with music, pool etc. The lounge on the other with just comfy seating to get between the two you have to go outside.

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - bonzo dog

Can't say I've noticed it in car showrooms particularly but it is a growing occurance in general. I don't think it's any form of policy to attract people, I think it's simply some members of the staff wanting to entertain themselves & wanting others to hear their music.

It's just the same as drivers who insist on blasting their music out with the windows down or people with BBQs turning their CD players full up in the house then leaving the windows open or people with ghetto blasters in the park, beach or bus stop etc

Like most people in this country, they give no thought to others

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - Armstrong Sid
I think it's simply some members of the staff wanting to entertain themselves & wanting others to hear their music.

One of life's great mysteries.........

Whenever you hear music blasting out from anywhere, whether it's a shop or a car or a house, it's always something you've never heard of and it's never something which you would want to listen to. You never hear music blasting out which is something you like and have in your own collection.

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Nothing like a bit of Uriah Heep or Led Zeppelin at full bass and volume to test for dashboard rattles.

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - Westpig

Glad it's not just me then...i've started to ask people to turn it down.

Worst one was a 4 star hotel in Cheshire, when I was visiting relatives that I hadn't seen for 5 years, with my then year old son, 4 pm in the afternoon.....insisted on having some football match on at full blast in the bar. I won in the end, but it took me going out to the main reception and insisting on the duty manager intervening, because the bar staff turned it down 0.25 of a decibel every time I asked...

....and my local, which i'm now visiting less and less...will have music out of some speakers and sport out on t.v.'s hanging on the wall...both at the same time...too loud. The bar staff now just get the remote out when I approach the bar, with that 'look' . Why should I have to even ask? What's the matter with people?

...then there's people who will park on the pavement next to my house, leave the car window open with music blaring, whilst they nip to a newsagent across the road, whilst we as a family are sat having a peaceful afternoon in the garden....selfish *******

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - bathtub tom

>>park on the pavement next to my house, leave the car window open

Have you got a garden sprinkler? ;>)

Have you got a garden sprinkler? ;>)

You do not know how close that came to being an option, only it was just the hose not a sprinkler attached. My wife pleaded with me not to...and of course she was right.

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - RicardoB

Glad it's not just me then!

Had to smile re the hoses and sprinkler.

I also have neighbours whose older off-spring like to entertain themselves and friends in the garden occasionally, especially in weather like we have been enjoying recently, just as I want to potter quietly in my garden. This brings out their ghetto blaster, which they power up, and invariably then they disappear indoors leaving the snoop shaggy dog, or whatever it is, playing.

Many has been the time when I have been tempted to lead one of my hifi speakers outside and give a blast of "Land of Hope and Glory", but fortunately, think better of the idea.

Noise, whether it's "music" in showrooms or gardens, shouting neighbours, boy racers and brightly dressed bikers with big cans, is actually a serious problem and nuisance, and really rather stressful.

But these are the times we live in.

But these are the times we live in.

Yes. Utter selfishness.

Music blasting out at dealers - is it me? - oilrag

Agreed - plus we`re getting old......... ;-)