TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - unmachanical

bought car in February, it has the notorious oil burning issue which these celica's have, make sure you read up about it if your looking to buy one. After taking it back to the garage they replaced the engine to a 2003 facelift Celica engine (Toyota fixed the engine problems in the 52 plate and after models) which had done just 58,000 miles. (was fitted around 5000 miles ago)
The car has had in the last 3 months:
Replacement 2003 Toyota Celica VVTi engine (all changed on log book)
Brand new clutch fitted
4 Brand new tyres
Brand new Back box
Sony headunit (usb + ipod connection)

The car itself is in excellent condition for its age and mileage theres the odd mark here and there but nothing serious, its easy to tell that its never been in a crash and its totally HPI clear.
Premium Pack which includes the electric sunroof, leather seats, electric climate control and rear spoiler It benefits from Full Service History all stamped for (some Toyota Main Dealer) which shows genuine mileage and that its been well looked after previously to us. It also has 2 keys, one with a brand new battery. It also comes with a selection of old MOT's.

.A CELICA 1.8VVTI WITH PREMIUM AND SPORTS PACK AND EXTRAS!

TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - Auristocrat
This reads like a car for sale ad - but without any mention of price
TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - unmachanical

Sorry could get the other ad to post & copy the other is item number

on ebay ...Item number:

130404819759 which out of these two looks the best

I'm on a budget so cant afford to make mistakes BUT I DO LOVE the look of these cars & dont want to buy into any one elses problems but both 'sound' good ON PAPER .........I know you only get what you pay for .... I dont actually need a car just want one as I a ave a very reliablbe Passat Tdi 1.9 presently which only needed minor work to get it through MOT (I only do approx 4-5000 per yer)

Just like the look of the Celicas (have had Nissan & Hyundia Coupe before)

Any advice

Kindest Regards

Cait

If you where to choose ant one of the above ads which one LOOKS to be the better I feel (after seeing the OIL PROBLEM issue on forum here & other places the one with the 'facelift' 2003 engine would be a safer bet >>>>BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS lady aged (52) PLEASE ADVISE..........

TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - Auristocrat

This reads like a car for sale ad - but without any mention of price

Please could you advice me which one looks the safest option Re past oil problems with celicas (post 02/3?)
Cait
TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - Collos25

Likes writing a story the probable reason it did not sell the first time was he had someone bidding on the car,I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole,if it only costs £24 to repair the remote locking why has he not done it more likely your looking at a cost of a few hundred to put it right.

Its old its probably been used for its purpose ie hammered most of its life and you are getting no warranty whatssoever.Buying at this age and price is a gamble but try and put the odds in your favour,warranty ,no faults on purchase,full service history,new discs and pads and good or new tyres. Good luck

Likes writing a story the probable reason it did not sell the first time was he had someone bidding on the car,I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole,if it only costs £24 to repair the remote locking why has he not done it more likely your looking at a cost of afew hundred to put it right

Its old its probably been used for its purpose ie hammered most of its life and you are getting no warranty whatssoever.Buying at this age and price is a gamble but try and put the odds in your favour,warranty ,no faults on purchase,full service history,new discs and pads and good or new tyres. Good luck

Thanks Andy FOR THE ADVICE I was considering it coz of the history ... Did u see the post for the other one (with the new 03 facelift engine ) I KNOW my post were a bit scatty wern't they

Item number:

I cant afford to spend toomuch ££££ only work part time & single parent ..I FIND IT HARD to give up on the reliable VW Passat (has Ive only had to do the normal R&Rs on this cv joints etc (whatever they are) and the like

but want somthing a bit less like a REPS CAR.. more dare i say sportier/sexier lookin .... but my old VW just keeps plodding on & on & on on .. I dont like the too small car just dont feel right for me after VW and BMW The VW is old BUT still good just had MOT with small repairs but I wouldnt get much for it you reckon I should just keep it & run her into the ground OR follow my HEART... NOT MY HEAD

Please IF you COULD please give me your thoughts on the other car item no.above ADVICE MOST WELCOME

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY

Cait

TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - Collos25

The other one seems to have more going for it a much more honest description and more in your favour new tyres,clutch(make sure)if it was me this is the one from the two I would choose but you need to see the cars in the flesh.

Thanks Andy

I was hoping for a reply (as the auction for the 2nd car you read about was ending @8.30pm I CURBED my impulsiveness though and it finished just within the price I would be prepared topay , as I said earlier I DONT NEED but want . a sportier car MOT machanic advised " STAY away from French ie renault pugeot ..I suggested a Vauxhall bertone ..he said No vauxhalls have I thinkhe said oil leak problems also said to avoid .. surprisingly HYUNDAI ..... as I have my OLD FAITHFUL VW Passat with 12mths.MOT ....I'm dont have to rush into anything, something will come up..with a bit of guidence from experienced people like yourself & others.. I'm sure to get 'SOMETHING suitable' . maybe i should hold back a bit ..maybe go for a small Loan & get something a bit newer than 2000 reg hey ..

Thanks again Andy

cait.

TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - Avant

Sorry you haven't had more input on this thread, but it's very difficult to understand what you're talking about, and some have probably given up the unequal struggle. Thanks to Andy for unravelling it. It looked from your original post that you were talking about your car, but apparently not.

Help us please by using more paragraphs and punctuation!

As you're on a tight budget, I'd sugest keeping the Passat until it goes expensively wrong, and then see at that point what you can afford.

Edited by Avant on 01/07/2010 at 01:34

Thanks for the reply . I know my post was a bit SCATTY I was rushing, Sodidnt explain very well and it may have looked like I was selling a car on reflection JUST that the auction for the car that Andy said was the better of the 2 was ending

Like you say .. MAYBE keep the Passat till it gets to the point its not worth spending £££ s on, cost £200 for 3 (I think theyre called wishbone arms ????? ) and advisory to change breakpads and its a 98 passat ...if I sold it I woild be lucky to get £400 for it, and its been a FANTASTIC car had it for 10 yrs,It feels incredibly safe and fast enough for me (99% urban driving 4-500 mls a yr) ........ SO why amI looking at getting a Celica ...

Maybe I'm going through a mid -life crises hey lol :-)

Thanks again for your Imput.

P.S though am still tempted by this sleek beast....I know its not a beast to speed freaks but I rarely go above 40mph unless I hit the M6 ....

Isit OK for me to ask for advise again on here?.. . with regards to cars I've seen... will take my time if so to explain properly

Kindest regards

Cait

TOYOTA Celica 00-06 1.8 bhp - Read some scary subjects about TOYOTA Celica 00-06 - oilrag

Hi Cait,

Welcome to the forum ;-)

Of course you are very welcome to ask for advice and join in the forum as much as you wish.

Don`t worry too much about `appearing scatty` - you`re friendly -- that`s the main thing.

As long as you get your point over (note Avant`s comments above) - no worries.

Be careful not to give us the impression that you may be advertising cars on Ebay though - or one of us might reach for the edit button ;-)

Regards

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 01/07/2010 at 08:52