Omega 2.5 V6 breather unit - Ian J
Can you advise how to remove replace the engine breather unit which sits on top of the inlet manifold on a 2.5 v6 petrol omega. Can it be done without removing the inlet manifold. Have already cleaned the breather pipe,which was blocked,from the drivers side bank to the back of the breather unit.
Omega 2.5 V6 breather unit - Crombster
1. Unscrew the screw in the centre of the panel
2. Disconnect the dual ram pipes leading into the throttle body
3. Unscrew the four bolts on the throttle body (Although its tricky to get the lower bolts out due to lack of room)
4. Ease throttle body off the breather pipes and pull the breather off.

Then you can get your carb cleaner out and give it a good soak. I had to do this the other week while checking the vacuum system for any problems.

Best of luck

Stuart

Stuart
Many thanks for the help it is much appreciated. This may be a silly question but I cant locate a screw on the top of the breather unit panel I just have the words ecotec and a vauxhall symbol - there is no apparent screw. My model is late 1996/1997.
I assume that there is sufficient clearance between the throttle body and the timing covers to ease it back.
Ps I have a small oil leak from the cam cover drivers side and hope that cleaning the breather unit will help. At the moment I have disconnected the breather pipe I cleaned from the back of the breather unit to see if that helps.
Many thanks
Ian
Omega 2.5 V6 breather unit - Crombster
www.theloft.dynip.com/camcover.htm

If you have a look at this page of my website it details my recent change of cam cover gaskets. The second image shows a picture of my engine and the breather you mention. You can see the screw below the words ECOTEC.

If you dont have this I imagine it will move when you remove the throttle body. You cannot remove the breather without removing (almost fully) the throttle body. This annoyed me greatly as I had to break a spanner and conjure up a tool to access the lower retaining bolts.

Leaking cam cover gaskets is a common complain though. They are a bit time consumming to replace but nothing too difficult.

Thanks for the advice - the web site is very impressive.
Will detaching the breather pipe from the drivers side bank from the back of the breather unit have any adverse consequences or indeed will it help as far as the leaking gasket is concerned.
Kind Regards
Ian
Many thanks to Stuart and Crombster for their help. Decided to bite the bullet and change the cam cover seals - they are expensive for a bit of rubber. Glad I did because there was quite a lot of oil in the spark plug trench between the cams particularly in the drivers side bank. Replacing the seal on the passenger side was more difficult the secret is to to patiently work to position the wires and pipes clear to enable the cam cover to go underneath. By the way the screw in the plastic breather unit is covered by a plastic tray with the ecotec symbol on it - you use a screw driver to lever it off and the screw becomes visible. Soaking the breather unit in some petrol removed the gunge. I found removing and replacing the fuel rail quite tricky - very nervous of dropping a bolt on removal and refitting. I would be interested in how Crombster or anyone else did it. You were right it is quite a time consuming but ultimately a very rewarding job. Any one know what a a main dealer would charge.
Many thanks again
Kind Regards
Ian